THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Apply for Kodiak National wildlife refuge as Non-resident?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apply for Kodiak National wildlife refuge as Non-resident?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do I need to win a draw or as a non-resident can I just hire a guide for this area?

Help appreciated!
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to draw for specific areas or you can hunt what they call the roadway system with an over the counter tag. Still need a guide or a blood relative to hunt.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
Do I need to win a draw or as a non-resident can I just hire a guide for this area?

Help appreciated!
Thank you.

You hunting bears? If not, you can hunt Sitka Blacktails and small game DIY. Andrews Air has hauled a friend of mine on several trips, they are top-rate transporters.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
If you haven't put in for your permit this year, you're out of luck. You'll have to wait for next year.

What specific GMU are you interested in? In most Kodiak hunts you must apply for the permit and as a non-resident you must have a guide.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an Alaskan resident and just applied for Kodiak spring bear hunt. In my research I found some stuff which may be helpful to you. My understanding is that Kodiak has exclusive guide areas and each guide gets a few permits each year in their area for their hunters. Mind you I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to non-resident requirements so I may be mistaken in this. But that was the impression I got after speaking to ADF&G and looking at their website. ADF&G website lists the guides for each area on Kodiak with contact info. You could call one of these guides and inquire. The ADF&G website is complex so you may have to click around a bid to find this info. Or you could call ADF&G and ask to speak to the bear biologist for Kodiak (there is a Kodiak office tel. number listed). He should be able to answer your questions. Hope this helps. Good luck. Regards, Paul

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote