New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Thor - Lo' socks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read / heard about a highly rated make of socks: Thor-Lo (spelling?)

I have two main questions.

Of the varoius tyes listed on their web page:

military, hunting and back packing

which would be the best for cold(ish), wet / damp conditions for use with calf length boots etc?

Walking any distance, particularly carrying any weight, suggests the back packing type.

Then again, I will be using them for hunting so .......

But the military type socks, surely, they would cover both these uses?

The second question - could people recommend a mail order outlet which would accept credit card sales / ship to the UK?

I favour the high, above the calf to knee length type btw.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some of these newer synthetic socks are great but I personally don't stress over the inside lining of my boots. mind you I have allways had worm and fairly dry feet.
I know some outdoorsmen feel the need for top of the line socks and maybe there is a need in their case. I find a good wool blend is still about the best thing going. In extream weather I wear a fairly light pair of wool blend inside my Lacross pack boots and I'm good all day at minus 40 - 50.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried many different brands and have found the Cabelas Outfitter Series about the best. They are a high quality blend of natural and synthetic materials. They come in lightweight, mediumweight and heavyweight so the choices of what you want/need are easy to make. JMHO. I am not so sure you have access to their catalog but they do have a website. They take CC's of course.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob---have several pair and enjoy them very much. they make your feet feel comfortable and they also cover the calf. i always wear a pair of silk socks against the skin then over socks for the conditions.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
When I used to do some hiking in the Kenai Mountains near Hope, Cooper Landing, and Moose Pass, I kept a good supply of that brand of sock. My feet favored them, and the Danner hiking boots. Once I discovered that combo, that was it, and I didn't experiment with foot wear anymore.

Everyone has an opinion, and I've tried lots of different brands, and have been satisfied with most all of them, but there is something about the way these Thor-Lo socks are made that's special. Just enough cushioning - too much can be a problem just as too little - and the socks don't squirm around on my feet, as some brands do.

Now I live in southeast, and wear rubber boots mostly, and I don't hike the distance I used to, but every August I look at the alpine areas, and think about doing it again. If I do, I'll go for the Danners and the Thor-Lo socks again.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the grey wool Carhartt socks, thicker cushioning than either Smart wool or Thor-Lo's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have many pairs of Thor-lo's and they are all I were when hunting out of a tent or doing any backpacking. For hunting out of a tent, I use the type that is 100% synthetic. It is amazing how quickly they dry in a tent even when it is cold and raining. The other models with woll blends will dry fairly quickly too, and much quicker than a straight wool, smartwool, Cabelas wool blend, or whatever. An added bonus is that the sox are very light and 2 extra pair in your pack don't add the weight of 2 pairs of wool sox.

I have never found socks that gave me the loft of Thor-lo's. THey feel very "coushiony" on my feet. I wear them with very thin liner socks underneath.

The socks will maintain their loft quite a bit longer if you turn them inside-out for washing and air dry them. They are expensive socks, but well worth it to me.

But soicks are a lot like boots-everyone has different feet and you need to find what works for you.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live on St. Thomas and wear thorlo socks everyday with my work boots. I got the thickest ones they make, a military style , I think, and I am very pleased with them. I wanted the cushion sole since my 65 year old feet can get tired.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feed back.

Now all I have to do is find a US retail outlet which will do international orders / shipping.

The UK agency for Thor-Lo charges in pound what they cost in USD in the US - roughly twice the price!

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey rob--check the distributor for HAN-WAG boots--LATHAM-they handle thoro.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The company has a web site www.thorlo.com and it has a place to look up international distributors.
I get mine from Lathrop and sons here in the US
http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

They are great socks, these guys sell the ski socks to go with the Han Wag boots. My biggest problem is I wear mine around the house as house shoes becasue they are so comfortable. Good Luck in your search.

Posts: 35 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for responding.

I viewed the suppliers lists given by Thor-Lo, visiting their mail order sites. Unfortunately, I could not find a retailer that ships internationally. Even getting stuff to the ex 48 states of the US of A seems to be a chore.

At least there is a UK importer, but it is twice the price!

At circa $2 USD = £1, this is a great opportunity for US manufacturing to export out of a recession / downturn.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If you know any GIs stationed there in England they could purchase some socks at the Military Clothing Sales Store. All of them I've been in in the past 20 years have Thorlo combat boot socks. I started wearing them years ago and haven't bought any other kind since. They cost more but they last way longer than any other kind of sock I've worn.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have had several different models of both the thor lo's and the smartwool.

i prefer the smartwool as my feet do not get as clammy. the smartwool breath better than the thor lo.

i like the smartwool light hiker's.

the thor lo military sock is plenty thick. the synthetic thor lo's also are a burn hazard if a spark from the campfire should hit your thor lo's. they will melt, ouch. if you try to dry them out over the fire they are very heat sensitive as well.

Cold Zero