Notify
Tools

338 RUM or 375 RUM for Hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
365 yards, I can't even see that far any more Wink

Phil, then I guess I should bring a 45-70 for the Moose hunt in September? :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forget the bear, thats some awesome country!!
nice bear too, but man that valley is pretty killer.
how'd they get a jeep back in there?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could only get the Jeep out a few miles from camp, and even that was pretty rough and weather dependent (snow melt in the rivers).

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Nice bear Biebs!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Those Toklats have the nicest coloring of all the interior bears.
That's a nice one Biebs!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all....now if Phil can put me on a good Moose this September, I can fill some space in the trophy room!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs
What a great Bear and that country is great.
I harvested my sheep about 20 miles from where you shot that bear.
Tom has a great area and you had a guide that has probably more experince in Alaska than any 4 guides.I know that Tom is please you filled a cancelled spot and probably more than happy you bagged out.
Well now we need to bag our big moose.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for the lead on the opening.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic grizzly! Isn't spring bear hunting in Alaska an incredible experience?

Posts: 3905 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the photos and the story.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, no problem. Hopefully I've have another after my Moose hunt in September.

posted Hide Post
New to the site but saw this and couldn't resist. That is a nice bear. I just got back from SE AK black bear hunt. Shot a very nice 450# bear with my 338 RUM. Only 200 yards. 225gr Nosler Accubond. Instant dead bear. Both lungs were turned to soup. 33 caliber hole in and .750 out. If I can figure out how I'll post a picture.

Klr

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Great looking bear, Biebs!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
JB:

Wow! What a beautiful bear. Congrats!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, congrats to you and the young'uns as well.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
It goes without saying that this is an extremely beautiful bear and a fine accomplishment.

How were your boots in that terrain? It looks like plenty of scree and a good bit of every other kind of ground plus plenty of water.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norm, I had recently bought a pair of Kennetrex boots, and was quite happy with them. Very easy break-in, and stiff enough for the rocky terrain without being heavy. I was going to wear my Meindls, but wanted a bit of insulation. A guy tipped me off to a sale on the Kennetrex at Sierra Trading. They were $450, then on sale, then a special coupon....got them for $197.50! Great boots.