New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restaurants in Anchorage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be coming and going through Anchorage looking for a couple places to eat.

Thanks

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ok hunter:
I will be coming and going through Anchorage looking for a couple places to eat.

Thanks

Double Muskee in Girdwood
About 20 miles from Anc but worth it Smiler

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Eating in Anchorage, or Alaska period is like buying fine optics, or a rifle. It depends on what your willing to pay, some restraunts are spendy and some moderately reasonable, not much is cheap unless your a fast food fanatic. If you want fine dining with the Alaska atmosphere, then yes it will cost you, but you will enjoy the experience, Up in the Fairbanks area, I hit the "Pump House" or the "Turtle club" I love the Prime Rib there. But there are many in Anchorage, too many too name.. but the best meal to me is sauted sheep tenderloins and onions, with a little wine, over the open fire deep in the remote Brooks Range, looking at the mass and curl of the big ram you just took...seriously, It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Here's a list of a few that I frequent:

Simon and Seaforts - seafood, steaks
Glacier Brewhouse - sandwiches, pizza, steaks, seafood
Ding How - mongolian bbq, best in town
City Diner - fancy home cooked meals
Mooses Tooth - Pizza
Sullivan's - steak
Double Musky in Girdwood - good cajun vittles
Shines Sushi in Eagle River - sushi, sashimi
Bella Vista in Peters Creek - greek, italian

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKsheephunter

Your sheep tenderloins is the meal that I am looking forward to most. And I agree it doesn't get any better!!

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 142 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny to see Ding How listed on an international web forum...I eat there regularly. What about Sea Galley? I like it. Also, next door is the Pepper Mill and that fancy hamburger place...all 3 are owned by the same company. I haven't eaten at the Pepper Mill but it is supposed to be good.

I don't think the food is tremendous but the Sourdough Mining Co. is a popular restaurant, especially among visitors.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
No mention of Gwennies?

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ok

For first time visitors I think Simon & Seafort's is a must. Nice atmosphere, beautiful view of the inlet and pretty consistent food and service. You can goin your camo and be seated next to folks in tuxedos.

Gwennie's as BW suggested is a great place for breakfast and if volume is your main concern.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Ding How has the best mongolian in town, maybe even in Alaska! The old Pepper Mill was better than the newly remodeled sports bar that it is today so we don't go there much anymore but they did have some of the best prime rib in Anchorage. Sea Galley is good for hanging out with friends, having a few drinks and appetizers. Never ate at Gilligans but hear they have good burgers. I've eaten at Gwinnies once and it was ok but they need to clean the place up a bit, not a bad place for home cooked meals from what I saw on the menu. If you happen to venture into Eagle River stop by the Haute Quarter Grill, it's more of a fine dining establishment but you'll see the same types there as you do in Simon's and the food is very good but spendy. Get the Cajun prime rib, one of our favorites.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up that there are two speeds of service in Alaskan resteraunts, slow and slower. I honestly can't think of a single resteraunt with timely service.

Asside from that, a pretty good list.

Simon's, great view but IMHO the food has gone downhill in the last few years.

Brewhouse, good food and beer (brew their own), slower service

Orso's also good food

Moose's tooth, brew their own beer (very good!) and great although interesting pizzas

City diner, overpriced

Double Musky, overhyped

Millenium Hotel has a great Sunday brunch

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I can think of speedy service...all them Chinese buffets!

But in all honesty, the best place to eat in Alaska?.....My House!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been through Anchorage several times and have eaten many places. Breakfast at Gwennies is always a must stop. The restaurant in the Millenium Hotel is my favorite. It has a "flying" theme, but I cannot think of the name. Many good dishs and wines. The Halibut dishs are to die for. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I have been through Anchorage several times and have eaten many places. Breakfast at Gwennies is always a must stop. The restaurant in the Millenium Hotel is my favorite. It has a "flying" theme, but I cannot think of the name. Many good dishs and wines. The Halibut dishs are to die for. Good shooting.
The Flying Machine restaurant.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
The White Spot Cafe just on the outskirts of downtown. Best halibut sandwich I had when I was there, but don't rile the sandwich Nazi lady. Follow orders and eat, it's worth it though.

For a quaint bar/restaurant try the Club Paris. Some friends of mine and I had a couple of drinks there, but one of them wanted to go somewhere else to eat. Reeks of being a local hangout, sort of Cheers in Anchorage. I'll eat there the next time in Anchorage. Yes, there will be a next time, thinking of 2009.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I never go through Anchorage without eating at Club Paris. There is an outdoor restaurant about 150 feet from Club Paris that serves King Crab. Blues Central on Northern Lights had a good roast beef. I guess they are still there. Is the Fly by Night on Spenard still open? Wings and nachos were OK but the show was usually great and between Young, Stevens, Allen, Kohring and Linehan they should have plenty of new material.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey is the "Salty Dog Saloon" still there? Not that its a good place to eat, but it was an interesting place..

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
The Salty Dog is in Homer which is a good drive from Anchorage.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I like the the Hawaiian restraunt, right outside the main gate of Elmendorf AFB, (Hulahands)

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed several meals at Humpies. Good burgers, great mussels excellent fish as a matter of fact everything I've eaten there was great and they had a great variety of beer as well.
I also ate at Simon and Seaforts which was a nice meal but somewhat pricey and a bit stuffy for my tastes but the food, drinks and service were excellent.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote