Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Goat Hunting in Alaska.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tracker:

Yes, the bases were right on 9 0/8" green. We flew out of FOx. I have some friends who live about 20 minutes south of Fox Glacier, and we stay with them when in the area and not on the hill.

I should have some picutres of a chamois of th esame caliber, but I blew it. Was hunting north of Hanmer Springs (friends there too) and shot one that was definitely over 10" with huge bases. Very long story, but he wound up getting up and making it over the side of the hill right at dark in the rain. Chamois will be top on my list this trip.

That, and bungee jumping off the bridge at Queenstown. I jumped Hanmer, so I can now jump the big one. If you listen closely, I am sure you can hear me from your house.

Have you used Gary Pullar in DUnedin for taxidermy? He did my tahr. I saw some of his work down there and I liked it a lot. I seriously considered doing a full body mount, but it would have cost a fortune. Plus I wanted to do the taxidermy there because Gary does tahrs so well. Just the shoulder mount cost me a fortune to get to my house. Actually, I am a skull boiler anyway. I only mount Alpine game and boil animlas that have antlers. If I ever did a full body mount, it would only be of a tahr, mountain goat, or Marco Polo

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
Since we last posted I've been out on a quick hunt, and shot quite a nice Chamois Buck on friday night. I'll see if I can post a photo once I have my film developed.
He's about 9 1/2 but has about 1/4 inch chipped off one horn. Still good to have some more fresh meat. The capes/skins are not much good right now. In anoter month they will be in full summer colour, which is most attractive, straw coloured. Not many hunters come to hunt Chamois here in summer, and yet there are many advantages, no snow, long days, warm temperatures, great fishing.
Anyways I'm getting a little off track from the Alaska Forum.
Thanks for all the very useful information shared above.

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tracker:

I hunted last Dec. Very long days...weird to see XMAS decorations when it is hot and humid and light until 11 pm.

Sheep in AK are much whiter than goats, which are somewhat yellowish in color.

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote