Find
Notify
Tools

What to Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
For next year, My father has proposed we do an Alaskan hunt. Of course I agreed, but we have no idea what to hunt. My father likes challenging hunts and was thinking along the lines of moose and bear. What animals would you guys suggest for a first time Alaskan hunter that will provide a good hunt (and for me, has good odds). We are open to all suggestions and then we'll pick according to what fits into our budget best and what we like. Thanks for the input.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens: A caribou hunt would probably be the best hunt to go on for a first hunt in Alaska. There are plenty of places to go caribou hunting for a reasonable price and, if you do your homework, you should have a reasonable opportunity to shoot a representative specimen. Look for air taxis that work in SW Alaska, where the Mulchatna herd is located, and they will help set you up. Moose hunts are possible, but they generally require more of everything (work and money), unless you have friends or family here willing to equip you and take you to their moose hunting grounds. And there are a lot more caribou than there are moose. As long as you are careful, you will have fun no matter what you do.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all good ! Have taken; caribou, black bear, dall sheep, wolf and moose myself and enjoyed each hunt immensly.
Still need a grizz.

I think moose hunting was the most fun and the country is gorgeous in September after it starts frosting regularlly.

Horesback hunting and staying in wall tents adds to the experience as well, but only a few outfitters in AK offer this.

My only suggestion would be to book with a good, reputable outfitter and don't skimp on the cost. Bargain shoppers usually wind up getting burned.

Get up there ! Go once, and I'll bet you go back.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens: As Steiny says, its all good. Your common run-of-the-mill guided moose hunt costs between $8,500 and $13,000, and many of them cost about $12,000, just to cite a nice round commonly seen figure. If you want to add other common species on the same hunt, it will cost more. If you add a grizzly bear, the cost will reach just this side $20K.

The cost of the unguided caribou hunt I recommended was somewhat more modest than a $12,000 moose hunt. A grown-up unguided moose hunt will usually require more planning and money and work and equipment and time than an unguided caribou hunt, but you can do that for a lot less than $12,000.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

If you can go for a guided hunt your chances of scoring are very good on almost any animal you would like to hunt. I agree with the others on the unguided hunt in that caribou will probably give you the most bang for the buck and be the most doable. With a little planning success can be very high with a real wilderness experience thrown in.

I represent someboby offering almost everything up here so shoot me an e-mail if I can help.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first choice would be a combination moose/caribou hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula followed by a similar hunt in central Alaska with the bonus being a good chance on a black bear if you don't hunt the Peninsula.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote