THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    All-around bullet choice for .458Lott or Ackley

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All-around bullet choice for .458Lott or Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted
My .454 or .475 Freedom Arms was all I ever needed in western PWS but now that I'm down on Afognak, figured I'd be totin' a long gun considering my four footed fuzzy neighbors.

I've got a real nice M70 in Lott done up by Andy Hawk in Anchorage and a SS Montana I'm putting together in .450 Ackley.

Just curious what opinions are floating around regarding bullet preferences. Figure I'll use it on my three deer, hopefully a bull elk, and double hopefully never, but just in case, on a bear.

I wish there was a way to let the momma bears know there ain't no way I'm messing with them or the kids but a little nerve tonic for me in the form of a big bore seems prudent.

I'm leaning toward a 450 TSX at 2300-2400 but North Forks look pretty interesting.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400g X if you can find them, the 450g X or tsx or 400g Kodiak or Northforks or??? Get over to Foul Bay yet? or Malina Bay?

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Ya, I was hoping to use something a little lighter - for a better trajectory and less recoil. Don't want to go too light though.

I'm over on the southeast side - Kitoi Bay, Izhut Bay. Flew into Malina on a support run of one of our camps last fall but that's it for the rest of the island other than lots of walking the logging roads around here. I spent ten years on Evans Island in the Sound and this rock is a lot bigger!

Just tried to make a run for Kodiak this morning but the water is a little too snarly. 25kt out of the west has the tight, steep, close together 6footers going. Lined up a 206 for this afternoon so just killing time on-line right now.

If I'm not out hunting or shooting, may as well be thinkin' about it!

Yes, IT IS ALL GOOD!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried to get out of Homer today. 6+' rollers hitting the spit!! Dont need to fish / black bear glass that bad.
Good luck. cheers

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote