New
Find
Notify
Tools

kodiak questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
would it be a good idea to bring a white cover jacket for glassing up at the top , to blend in?

does anyone know a commercial fisherman at the kodiak marina that would sell us frozen halibut, salmon, ling cod, etc?

many thanks [Big Grin]

cold zero [Wink]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you hunting for? What rifle? How long?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mickey1;

sitka deer/trophy only, .300 w.m., one week.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
cold zero,

A white camo shell to pull over your other coat could be good. On the other hand the last time I hunted Kodiak we hit the rut perfectly and a mature buck walked more than fifty yards directly to Sadie who had a blue rain jacket on while I grunted. The deer came within 10 feet and then turned and left slowly. One of the most amazing outdoor experiences I ever had.

You will have a ball. The next day after the deer fell in love with Sadie we saw 35 mature bucks in a 4.5 hour period before I shot a 4x4 that almost made B&C.

Good Hunting.

Mark

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero

If you are just wondering about camo then grab one of the brown and white patterns. Most likely you will never be more than a mile or so from the beacha and not very high. You probably won't see much snow this early.

Bears will come to the sound of a rifle, particularly the younger and stupider ones, so be aware of what is going on. If you have to pack or drag a deer down make sure you have your rifle with you. Shooting a BB without teeth marks in your boots will cause great consternation amongst the local authorities. [Wink]

You might consider a shotty if weight is not a problem as the Duck Hunting can be quite good.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no, bring the camo, we have a snow right now, have had it for about a week, so you may want to plan on cold weather

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cold zero,

Bring the white cover jacket if you like, but my opinion is that you won't need it. The color of your clothes doesn't seem to matter much. Use the terrain to shield your movement.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, your week of hunting could turn into one or two huntable days. Not sure if Dark Paladin is posting from Kodiak, but the Anchorage weather and snowfall is never a good indicator of what you'll find on the island. Snow comes and goes out there.

I'm not convinced bears come in to the gunshots. Be alert and you won't have any problems with them.

Dress warm and you'll have a great time.

Dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
davidin ak;

u hit it right on.

i am weathered in kodiak. trip may turn into what u said.

evertime i come up here the only thing that can be counted on is that i won't go according to the schedule.

thanks to all for the replies

cold zero

on hold [Wink]