THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Has anyone prepared Dall Sheep for the table?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone prepared Dall Sheep for the table?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had an elk hunting buddy who was given some Dall Sheep share with me (the donor stated it's supposed to be good). Not sure of the cut but it looks like about a 3 lbs roast. I've prepared everything from rock chuck, rabbit, squirrel to all the usual suspects (deer, elk, antelope, moose, turkey and assorted birds). Never Dall Sheep, any ideas?

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
I had an elk hunting buddy who was given some Dall Sheep share with me (the donor stated it's supposed to be good). Not sure of the cut but it looks like about a 3 lbs roast. I've prepared everything from rock chuck, rabbit, squirrel to all the usual suspects (deer, elk, antelope, moose, turkey and assorted birds). Never Dall Sheep, any ideas?

Garlic, Seasoning salt, Black pepper, butter & frying pan! Cut it into strips across the grain & go for it.

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No matter how you cook it will be good......just don't over cook it

Posts: 1 | Location: wasilla ak | Registered: 07 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently returned from a successful sheep hunt.
We enjoyed a goodly part of it in camp. Frying pan, season to taste and as already said "DO NOT OVERCOOK IT"

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Grilled is the best way to eat sheep meat.........when you can't eat it over an open campfire!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I dont put anything on it. It is so sweet and good by itself.

Grilled would probably be best. Sheep roast is good too.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As has all ready been stated, just don't over-cook it......it's the best......over an open camp fire in the mountains it's unbelieveable.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my favorite NA game meat no matter how it is cooked.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rarer it is, the better it tastes. Even my wife admittted to this.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prepare a marindade of garlic, soy sauce, olive oil, white wine, game spices or rub, and a bit of honey. Marinade the chops for several hours and grill or fry in olive oil. Keep it rare. It will be the best wild game you've ever eaten, even though it will likely also be the oldest game you've eaten, since legal rams must be 8 and many are taken at 10-12 years old.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
There are more rams shot in Alaska that are younger than that, finding a ram up here thats 10-12 is rare, it happens, but not that often. Alaska also hold ewe hunts as well though i've never participated. IMO, marinading wild sheep meat takes away from the real flavor of the sheep. It's delicious grilled with just a little salt and pepper.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at a party in northern New Mexico one time where they had a wild sheep (big horn?) someone had shot on spit, like a pig roast. Supposedly they bored lots of holes in the carcass and inserted big pieces of garlic and onion and put lots of pepper on it. Was really tasty.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had meat from rams in both NWT and Alaska. Of these rams there was a bit of an age spread but they were all 7 plus years old. They were all good but a couple were spectacular. Once on a backpack hunt we ate untill we were gorged and the next morning did it again. Two of us ate what we guessed was 20 lbs of meat in two sittings.That
was the best one I have tasted but starvation probably tainted my pallate. As a general rule it seems like the real old rams are tougher.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
I had the great fortune to kill a full curl white sheep back in the 80’s.. We got stuck in a canyon, down by the river, over night on our 15 mile pack out. We had two dead sheep in our back packs with very little else. It was 28 F with a 30 mph wind that night. My hunting partner and I had no sleeping bags or tent and spent the night shivering in a large plastic equipment bag together. I cooked some of the sheep on a stick over a small wood fire and seasoned it with some salty chicken bouillon we had left over in our packs. To this day that was the best meal I have ever eatten. That was the 7th day of our walk in hunt and I lost 15 lbs. on that trip. Sheep is great no matter how you fix it but I like it on a stick over a fire with some salt. It’s nice if the northern lights are dancing overhead while you eat it.

Kill it quick and fill the freezer.

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote