THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Hunting disapearing in Alaska Fasterthan i thought

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hunting disapearing in Alaska Fasterthan i thought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ballbuster,

Unfortunately in a sense, you are right, hunting at least in the Mid-Atlantic region is not cheap either. I do get amazed at what people here pay to hunt. I've sen quotes saying, $300-400 a day for deer hunting on private land, or hutn clubs that chage 3,000 or more a year.

But with Alaska, the equipment, and expensive transportation costs, its not a cheap state to hunt. In many places in the lower 48 you can really hunt on private land with a $20 liscense, a rifle and box of shells, on private land within driving distance. In Alaska for big game hunting you need good raingear, warm clothing, etc, and maybe the public land is a plane or boat ride away at at several $100s.

I always used to be amazed seeing non-residents fly into state completely outfitted looking like a walking cabelas catalogue, and being flown out on a guided hunt. Not cheap.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"But with Alaska, the equipment, and expensive transportation costs, its not a cheap state to hunt. In many places in the lower 48 you can really hunt on private land with a $20 liscense, a rifle and box of shells, on private land within driving distance. In Alaska for big game hunting you need good raingear, warm clothing, etc, and maybe the public land is a plane or boat ride away at at several $100s."

Chasseur,

Now where in Alaska do you really need to go that far to find a place to go hunting?

I used to live in Fairbanks and have not missed a year going back up since I left (7 trips the past 18mo's) and I head back that way in 2 weeks for 16 days. In cases around the large cities (Anch and Fairbanks) for the most part you just need to drive a few miles out of town to begin your hunt and also for the rest of the state most of it is wide open to hunt. Sure their is hunting pressure, I have that down here in Texas. But just like I have to do down here, if I want a decent trophy I have to go deeper and hunt smarter than the rest and if I want a mule deer in Texas I have to go to West Texas and pay the cost, same goes for the AK res that wants a goat or ram and they are not in their backyard, how bad do you want it?

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can speak for a percentage of the non-resident hunters, namely (900+). They have gone where they think they can get a fair chase hunt. Like it or not, that is the feed back we have received at www.huntersbeware.com. Your outfitters and the ADFG can screw some of the people some of the time, but you cant screw all the non- residents all of the time. Case and point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 60 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
huntsternorth,

I meant, the regs don't seem that bad, not sure about the politics. But your right, I don't know enough about all that right now. I only became somewhat interested when the Katy John (is that right?) case started making the news. I was very disappointed when Tony didn't appeal the case. Which is another reason he won't get my vote for Senator.

From what I understand, a person has to go way back in Alaska history and study the various land settlement treatise/agreements (there are two main ones, but I can't recall their acronyms right now) just to get an idea of why we are, where we are now. I'm always up for learning more about it, as I hope to get more active in the future.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
rwj,

Boy, your missing some great comedy! Of course, you may mean that your ignoring me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Your outfitters and the ADFG can screw some of the people some of the time, but you cant screw all the non- residents all of the time. Case and point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you ranting about? How does this relate to the discussion here?

What case?

What point?