Find
Notify
Tools

want to see / hunt alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I am thinking I would like to get to alaska soon "2006" I am not so picky about what I hunt. Only thing I not interested in is deer. I would most likely be going myself as a hunting partner to follow threw with is a hard thing to find. I have been thinking of bear or ? from a boat. Dont have 10k to spend but could come up with 1/2 of that. Any suggestions and advice.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You should be able to do a spring black bear/fishing trip for your $5k all inclusive, and likely less than that by a bit.

It just comes down to what you want to see and hunt. A coastal bear hunt from a boat will be a totally different experience than a inland caribou hunt on the tundra.

Some of the boats have very nice accomadations as well. The only trouble is, I'd imagine alot of boats will already be filled up for next spring, but you might be able to find a single spot.

Can't recomend any boats based on first hand experience, but I'm sure ther rest of our members will be able to.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Paul
Thanks I had written off most hunts as I would most likely be hunting myself and that kinda does away with drop camps and float trips. Not that I wouldnt go myself just that it wouldnt be the smartest idea. I want to hunt Alaska I want to start out lower $ learn the ropes and hopefully make it up for the bigger and higher $ animals afterwords.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about the only thing I can think of in ak for that kind of dollars is to do a do it yourself caribou hunt somewhere near anchorage where the fly out service wouldn't be to expensive.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dean,

I'll ask around for recomendations of boats. Unless the prices have really jumped, I don't see how you couldn't do it for $5k. Even if your airfaire is $1k, and ~$600 for license and tags, I don't think there should be much of a problem getting a boat hunt for $3 to 3 1/2k, I thought the outfitted hunts were much less, but I honestly haven't looked into such hunts lately.

I did a quick google search for Alaska black bear boat hunt and this is the first place to come up http://www.ninilchik.com/content_sub.asp?SUB_ID=16&CAT_ID=5 $1800 for a 5 day hunt

I'm not recomending that outfit in any way, nor saying they aren't good, just that they are the first one to come up to see what going rates are. Those are for outfitted, not guided hunts, ie they run the boat, they feed you, and you find your game.

Guided hunts are much more expensive.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted caribou in a drop camp out of Iliamna last year. On our way home, we met a guy at the Iliamna lodge that was heading out for the same hunt-alone.

You might contact a few outfitters and see if they have any similar singles that you could contact and join up with.

FYI, our 6 day caribou hunt cost us less than $3500 with air, hotel, etc. All food and equipment was provided by the outfitter.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will hunt AK next year. I had to drop out of a hunt this year, due to a sudden family emergency. This was rough, because 2 years ago, I had to drop out of a hunt because 3 weeks before the hunt was scheduled to begin, I fell and shattered my right ankle while fishing in British Columbia. So, strike 3 is NOT gonna happen. I want caribou. If anyone is potentially interested in me as a partner (I am a retired Forest Service scientist...will be 65 next year.....and am a hyperactive, decent human being with a wanderlust)....please communicate.
Alex Diner
Gainesville, FL

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting with this guy in October, will let you know how it goes, if you like.

http://www.gasandtime.com/

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
trackersNZ
yes please let me know how you make out.
Good luck
Dean