THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Outfitters in AK penninsula area for Brown Bear

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitters in AK penninsula area for Brown Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a good outfitter for big brown bear. Some of my questions and things I'm looking for.
1. Should I hunt spring or fall for a large boar? I'm more concerned about size than the condition of hide.
2. I will not shoot a big bear over 100yds away, prefer even closer shots. If I cannot get a close shot, I will not shoot, must be up close and personal. So all of that said, I might have to come back another time if shot does not present itself so what do outfitters usually charge if you do not score and need to come back?
3. I'm wanting to stay in the 15,000 dollar range if possible, might be unrealistic for such a hunt, let me know.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say in that area the going raqte is more like $16-18K. No it is not unrealistic if you have the right outfitter.

Many times with a good guied you should close within 100 yds.

I know a guy in that area, does not charge guy if they need to come back. Cause he's 100%.

Good luck.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
dirklawyer:
As in everything else, there are good guides and bad guides. Most of the guides on the Peninsula are good ones. The one I'm most familiar with is Warren Johnson from Bear Lake Lodge out of Port Moeller. Bearlakelodgealaska.com.
I think your odds of getting a good Bear are a bit better in the spring.
I think he is charging around $15K for a hunt.
Nothing is cut and dried on the cost of the (second) hunt. If you piss them off, most will send you home with a Thank You and don't come back. If your a good guy, some will give you a second hunt for 1/2 price.
He has an outfitter I think. I don't know who it is. I'd deal directly with him. His numbers are on his site.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the fall is better.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go in the fall and prepare for nasty weather. There are a number of good guide options but again, if it was my money I would book with the best I could afford as the top end isn't much more money than the main stream hunts that deal in volume. I would book ahead with Phil Shoemaker if possible.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote