New
Find
Notify
Tools

Equipment for 1st Moose Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of knuk13
posted
Am planning a two week trip to Fairbanks for Moose hunting at the beginning of September.

I hunt regularly in Northern Ontario in November, and am wondering if the clothing will be sufficent or will it be to warm.

Any other recomendations on any gear that might be needed would also be great.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's easier to help if you provide more info. You should be with a guide and he will have a lot of gear. He should also provide you with a suggested list of gear and answer these types of questions?

September in Fairbanks is pretty mild. I hope you're not coming to Alaska to hunt around Fairbanks.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of knuk13
posted Hide Post
Going hunting with a friend who lives in Fairbanks. We will be hunting north of Fairbanks

My friend will be providing the transportation and camping gear. Just trying to find out if my clothing for Ontario will be too heavy to wear.

Thanks,

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people will wear Carhartts or something similar. Camo is not necessary unless it makes you feel better. It never hurts to have a good pair of long johns, gloves,rain gear, hat and good jacket. Good boots are important and a set of hip boots might be necessary. Just basic stuff.

It might be warm or you could get a storm. Bugs are still a consideration but you're from Canada and no stranger to that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
knuk13, you know the climate in mid-september is reasonably warm, might encounter some frost, never know. Nothing is ever the same. Guess you can say what is good in Ontario is good in Fairbanks.

Layering of clothing is favorable, I like wool clothing-hate carharts, just to damn noisy for me. Suppose the old saying "playing it smart" pays off.

I like to "spike" out and do things differently, no tent, no fire, small fold out chair and a sleeping bag does just fine-next morning generally have Moose about-but you have to be in there area. It has been down right cold doing them "bouts" for filling the freezer-but it works and pays off. Moose calling techniques of various kinds pay off as well.

good shooting

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where you at Grizz? I used to live in Ft. Yukon which is real close to the Brooks.

Agreed on the wool. I wear a lot of Filson, Woolrich, etc. Good stuff just heavy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
go down river of the Ft. and come up the Chandalar about 60 mi. and there rests a small Gwichin' community called Vee'tie or as most say Venetie right on the main channel. Been here since 84'

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know exactly where that is. They used to come up for our Spring Carnival, etc.