THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What to and What not to bring on a boat based bear hunt

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to and What not to bring on a boat based bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Okay so I know I need rain gear, hip boots, and a floating gun case.

What should I make sure to bring and not bring...

Bug juice?

Head net?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Okay so I know I need rain gear, hip boots, and a floating gun case.

What should I make sure to bring and not bring...

Bug juice?

Head net?

Don't bring a computer or a cell phone.
probably wont need the headnet.
Stainless Syn. Gun (salt air will rust blue steel no mater how careful you are)
still need to hose down your stainless with WD40 or something every nite.
Lots of rain is the norm.
Extra SOX change often if hiking lots. lite shoes to wear on the mother ship.
You will have a blast.

One of the hardest things I have ever done was getting on a plane to leave ALASKA after my first trip / vacation here. I moved here 1yr later Big Grin

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
May 6-18 out of Sitka

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Guided or unguided? Assuming unguided:
- Marine Radio (unless they have 'em) to contact the boat for pick-up or emergency
- Camera(s)
- Gloves (thick) for climbing through alders and devil's club (I like thick neoprene since it's gonna be wet anyway)
- Lots of socks...though they ought to be able to dry gear in the engine room

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
No bananas.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
No bananas.

Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Somebody want to clue me in to the joke...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bananas are almost universally (except by me) considered bad luck on boats. Some people are surprisingly vehement about this. Best to avoid the whole subject entirely.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last time i was there was in the beginning of may too. rains alot, but was a great time. bring plenty of camera stuff, and a fishn pole. in the day you should be able to fish for dolly varden, do a bit of crabbin, clams on the beach, etc. Your hunting time is late (like 4 pm and thereafter) so go do some whale watching too. Have fun in one of gods most beautiful places

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike/ who are you hunting with? Extra felt liners for hippers; no bugs that early; late spring this year I'm told. Thick (gortex) mits with opening for fingers- not gloves. Neoprene ankle fit hippers (cabella), cheap rainpant cut off at knee. Dark or camo "gortex" rain parka; I like a light weight & dresss in layers. Small soft/quiet daypack. Camera with flash-most bears kiled at last light of day. Camo insulated baseball hat. I'm reeturning for my 3rd hunt on June 2nd; Alaskans are great people; scenery is unparalleled. Have a great hunt/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am hunting with Bill Petersen

Mike

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......Not to argue ,, but I would bring both your laptop and cell phone........Just don,t live by the things.........Most hotels have wireless internet .. If your phone is Celluar One or ACS compatible there are lots of places you will get a signal...When you come out into the Chatham you can get service from Angoon,, There are quite a few places both north and south from there that they work...Besides you may as well let the govt. track your movements....The outfitter will have salt water rods but he probably won,t hand you a thousand dollar 3 wt. dolly ,fly rod....The best binoculars you possibly can.......roll top water pruf , see thru bags , to put camers , cell phone , vhf hand held ect. in...... ,,,,,,,,,A GOOD ATTITUDE Smiler,,This is a rugged country and attitude makes the difference between haveing fun and not.....A pistol,,,,,,A pistol [revolver,, ect ]is a nice thing to have with you at all times..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Invest in the best illuminated reticle scope you can find!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used an alluminated reticule too and it was great, but i believe alaska is in the process of making them illegal

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Waterproof gun case, for the hours you'll be spending cruising around in a small skiff.

Hard candy, for the same reason.

Ipod

A small dvd player (sometimes you just want to get away from everyone, and your bunk with a movie is about the best you can do.) A laptop can be used for watching movies too.

Several 'vicky' knives...

I prefer the red handled ones, get both serrated and non-serrated. Can be picked up darn near every store in Sitka.

Lense cleaning paper.

A novel.

Oh, and no whistling and for God sake never place a hatch cover upside down. Wink

Brian

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Why the "vicky knives"

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why the "vicky knives"

Turning lips, ears & noses Big Grin

Bananas are bad JUJU. like bringing a SKUNK rotflmo

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
The vicky knives are super sharp, cheap, and disposable. No need to resharpen a knife that cost less than $5.00.

Always great to have around a boat to cut bait, fishing line, steaks, vacuum sealed bags, etc.

Most fishing boats have them laying all over the place, plus the crew wear one on a belt to cut themselves free if they get dragged over by a line.

They are great for making the initial cuts in a bear hide. The slice through the fur and skin like butter, and take the abuse that normally would be spent on your good knife.

'Vickys' are as Alaskan as Xtra-Tuffs.

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
I recommend you pack everything in a water "proof" bag.
I use the roll down bags by Seal Line, Outdoor research and the ultra light weight bags by Sea to Summit.
I pack my coats, sweater, down vest etc in its own bag.
I usually put an entire change of clothes, from underware,socks to short and pants in one bag.
I use them for ammo, extra socks, in short everything.

That way my gear stays dry no matter what.
Most anything I carry in my back pack is in a water proof bag.

I use them for all hunts, if it keeps out water it keeps out dirt and bugs too.

Carry plenty of stuff to keep your gun dry and wipe it down every night. Dry out the inside of the bbl if necessary.

Those Victorinox knives are great, I like the red handled ones too. I use them at the house every day.

For my own traveling use I prefer the Opinel knives because they are a folder and safer to transport.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
and what are Xtra-Tuffs

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and what are Xtra-Tuffs

Neoprene boots. Comercial Fishing / Oilpatch Alaska tennis shoes clap

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post

You can't have just one pair Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...I don't want to disappoint you guys where but I wear 12 1/2 EEEE....so rubber boots do not fit...(so I generally just wear the most waterproof boots I have with bread bags in them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the xtra tuffs are good boots.

another option is the la crosse burly's.

stay dry.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The XtraTufs I wear are size 15....you'd be suprised at the width as I wear heavy socks and Bama booties(together) easily in the Tufs......great gear.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, as there are certainly no such things as big fisherman or Slopers. Wink

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Underwear.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote