New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Lake Air out of Seward?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any information on Bear Lake Air and Guide Service outside of Seward? Their webpage was up and running just a while back and right now everything has been unplugged. I was going to ask them to take me out to Little Johnstone Lake east and south of Seward..but it looks like they are not in business.

Can anyone recommend an air taxi near Seward?

Has anyone been out east and south of Seward looking for bears? Who has taken a black bear?

Thanks for the information.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew with BLA several times in the past to Montague Island for blacktail hunting, flew with both Dennis and Jim - don't know their current status although I too am looking for a flight to Montague in November for blacktail. As far as black bear, have been out three times this spring and have seen four bear; none within shooting / stalking distance. Not in the Seward area, in unit 7 between Hope and Portage. Have heard that the area you mention is good for black bear. Prince William Sound is usually very good for black bear, a boat is a necessity. Good luck and safe hunting - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried phoning them for several months. I used the phone number that was on their website. I also checked "411", and they gave me the same number that was on the website. Each time I tried I got the "number not in service" recording.

I think they're out of the business. Too bad. I hope somebody hangs an air taxi shingle there soon. I would think there's plenty of business demand.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew with Bear Lake Air a few times to Montague for bear hunting. Jim Hitchcock the pilot, is a great pilot and a great guy and Dennis the owner, nice guy and always treated us fair too. I hear he had some problems, a couple of accidents, one with a contracted plane and pilot where they flipped a plane by Box Point or by Nellie Martin Cabin area and another where Dennis actually fell out of the old Norseman he owned and hurt his leg pretty bad but I heard they went out of business or aren't flying hunters to Montague anymore. Must be true. Good one to use out of Anchorage is Jayhawk Air. They've been flying Montague for years. Have no clue who's good out of Seward now.
choke

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your replies. That's unfortunate. I baught 4 acres or so out at Little Johnstone Lake and one of my brothers is coming to help me see what it will take to put a cabin on it. It is in a pretty tough place though as far as access goes. There are a lot of black bears out there though. After calling around here in Anchorage and a couple of float plane charters in Soldotna/Kenia I was directed to Scenic Mountain Air out of Moose Pass. I think they also run charter flights out of Seward as well....I am still trying to contact them. It sounds like they will be able to help us get out there without paying what it would cost from Hood Lake. Thanks for the information.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote