New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear Boat Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone reccomend several guides for this type of hunt.What it should cost etc.What areas for big bears?

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Joe Romano a call at Gas and Time outfitters. Hes a no BS guy and will not steer you wrong. He hunts alot out of PWS.

www.gasandtime.com

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Joel said. Hey Joel, I saw you yesterday at the show with Steve and Joe.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's booked for this year.Is there anyone else you would reccomend?

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most good guides in good areas are booked for 2008. Try Brad Dennison in Sitka at 907-747-8759. I will be hunting with him for a week starting this June 3rd. I hunted brownies with him in '03. Also Dale Adams; both have GMU 3. Also Eli Lucas out of Petersberg. Figure $4,000 or more for a 2009 hunt, 2:1 hunt. Look for guides in either GMU3 or 2/ Hopes this helps/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Stills Taxidermy. They might have some openings for a spring bear PWS, from charter boat for May 2007. (907) 694-3000.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does a land based camp and a zodiac fit your description of a "boat hunt"?

RDM Pilot Guide (Ketchikan) hunts POW island. I was very impressed with Ryan's service. I believe he offers guided, drop and do it yourself hunts. 866-858-2327

I hunted in the fall and passed up ~20 bears the first day. There were 5 of us and everyone tagged out. Lots of nice bears and more salmon than you can imagine.

Two months ago there were still some Spring hunt openings.

Scott.

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Ive never heard of these boat hunts. Do you shoot from the boat or is the boat used to cruise the coast line to spot and then stalk the bears.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,

The main boat ranging from 30 feet on up is your mobile base camp. Most have comfortable bunks, showers etc. The actual huntings is done spot and stalk from smaller outboard skiffs. In spring you cruise the shore looking for feeding or rutting bears. In the fall you walk up along salmon streams hunting for fishing bears.

You can cover a great deal of territory on this hunt and get to places seldom hunted by others. On most of these hunts you literaly can depend on seeing 5-20 bears in a day and coastal Alaska produces some truly huge bears.

I've advertised a great boat hunt for spring '07 on this forum at a really great price if you'd like to check it out.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose/ as I suspect, you know that it is unethical and illegal to hunt from any boat or skiff. You may scout along shorelines and spot a bear, then land well downwind and begin your stalk. This is a common way of hunting in spring when bears are eating sedge grass along shores/bays before the woods interior green up & the bears disappear off the beaches/ Chaz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,

Mr. Green is correct. It is illegal to shoot from the boat unless you are handicapped and have a special permit. Actually it is very tough to shoot from a boat. I've done it where it was legal and it is real challenge. I can't imagine a guide would recommend it as the chance for a wounded bear would be quite high.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
This sounds like an interesting way to hunt How long of a stalk would you say the average hunt would be, how far do they drop you off from the sited bears.i ask because i am now somewhat limited to walking as i am in the need of a knee replacement and am using a cane , i guess i should make a trip to the shore and see how far i can go.I would probibly have to limit myself to about 1/2 mile max. Luckly for me i am a still hunter when i hunt deer on my property upstate ny but am limited to somewhat leval ground.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Clarification-

Mark Young is right about the law in GMU 1-5 and 6d.

It is legle to shoot from a boat in the rest of AK as long as the the motor is not running and the boat is not still moving from the engine.

Other than that you can choose your own ethics and methods for the hunt

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose:
I am in the same boat with a knee in need of replacement. I did a fall brown bear boat hunt and that would be very difficult with your knee. Even though I got a bear it was physically a killer walking in the mud and going up those streams. A spring hunt, however, should be no problem for you. You will be amazed how accommodating the guides can be to someone with a physical limitation. Your biggest problem will be transferring from the mother ship to the skiff but it's doable. Good luck!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose; call Master Guide Bad Dennison at 907-747-8759. I hunted spring brwonies with hin in 2003 & had a great hunt. I am going back with him this spring for black bears. He is a real gentleman & a hard working guide. His boat is comfortable & he will work very hard to get you on a bear. Then the rest is up to you. But you will have to transfer to the skiff, get out of the skiff onto land, then make a stalk upwind to the bear. Most guides would prefer you to be closer than 100 yards to assure a clean, quick kill. Hope this helps/ Chaz

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys.as far as shooting from the boat , no not for me ive just got to decide on weather to plan a hunt in the springtime , or wait until i get the replacement and get back into shape. Thanks again Tanoose

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,

A spring bear hunt where you would be cruising the shore looking for bears would require only a stalk measureds in yards. Your .5 mile limit would not even get challenged. A great deal of the clients that book for this type of hunt do so because they have some limiting physical condition but still want a big bear. .

I'm working with 3 different operators doing this hunt now. PM me if you'd like any specifics.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com