THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Moving home in December of 2013. Any hunting left?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving home in December of 2013. Any hunting left?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
I found out I have to spend 2 or 3 weeks in retirement out-processing in San Diego so it looks like we will be getting back to Alaska the first or second week of December of 2013.

I personally think we are moving to Fairbanks, but who knows. I am planning on Fairbanks, because unless I end up with job someplace remote, I am going to use up that new GI Bill on grad school.

I'll do a shot in the dark and apply for a Delta bison tag. Is that something I can do just using a truck? Any harm in hunting into December?

Is zone 1 caribou worth trying? Or is it pretty shot out by then?

It also looks like I can hunt with a muzzleloader really late season for cows near Fairbanks in a couple different areas? Is that productive? Can I apply for one of those tags via the internet, or buy one over the phone?

Thanks again, I have only lived in Barrow and Sitka, and I don't know squat about road system Alaska, so I apologize for all the Cheechako BS.

A lot of this needs to be truck hunting, as we are moving back from Australia and I won't have $10,000 to drop into a sled when I have to start from scratch on house furniture. Kids need beds, and our house hold goods shipment from Australia is supposed to be 7-10 months to Alaska. Long time to sleep on the floor.

I have been an Alaska resident for 15 years, not much of one I guess.

Anyone get their mail in election ballots yet?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a lady from Tok get her caribou yesterday down Jack Wade; with her 1911, no joke.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, one shot or did it take more than that?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Bison tags were awarded last spring. This years won't be good until 2013 (fall/winter). Best bet is get your bow certificate and go drive up the haul road for caribou. Check out this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...l-Road-Report-Thread

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

So I have to apply in December?

While I find bows as interesting as shovels, I guess I had better change my tune for haul road caribou.

Just a couple years in Fairbanks while I am wrapping up grad-school anyway.

Thanks again!