Find
Notify
Tools

hunting in alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
am i correct that a non resident must use a guide to hunt alaska? also how long do you have to reside in alaska to be a resident, is it one full year?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes 365 days in a row. Only Brown Bear & Sheep for the Guide,
Google the ADF&G they will have all the latest regs!! dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
No!

In Alaska non residents are allowed to hunt several big game animals including moose, caribou and deer un guided. There are some game animals that do require a guide to hunt like brown bear and sheep, but you can move here tomorrow, buy a non resident license the next day and go hunt a buck.

In season of course, pay careful attention to bag limits, resident only areas, etc,....

I'd think if you called the AKFG in Anchorage or Juneau they'd be willing to mail you a set of reg's you can ponder over morning coffee and theres got to be a set available on the computer.

Point is, you can move here and occupy yourself quite thoroughly as a non resident, waiting for your legal residency to kick in.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
ok great thanks for the info. i thought you needed a guide for all big game hunting.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Guides are required only for Brown/Grizzly bears, Dall sheep & Mtn Goats.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
but residents can hunt brown bear without a guide correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Residents don't need a guide for any species.

There is also a "next of kin" provision for non-residents in lieu of a guide. Check out specifics in the hunting regs.

You might be surprised at how faaaar the "second degree of kinship" requirement has been stretched by some folks! As in illegally far. Funny how some guys suddenly discovered a biological brother they never knew they had.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
Residents don't need a guide for any species.

There is also a "next of kin" provision for non-residents in lieu of a guide. Check out specifics in the hunting regs.

You might be surprised at how faaaar the "second degree of kinship" requirement has been stretched by some folks! As in illegally far. Funny how some guys suddenly discovered a biological brother they never knew they had.

I am waiting for the estranged "domestic partner" excuse to be tried.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Estranged domestic partner"

Now THAT'S funny (but hey, if I can get another Dall sheep.....)

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone is having "sticker shock"?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Mtn Goat also requires a guide. I don't think there is that requirement for bison or muskox or elk

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Question are we talking professional guide? what i mean is can a resident be a guide for a friend from the lower 48

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
Question are we talking professional guide? what i mean is can a resident be a guide for a friend from the lower 48

Yes, you have to hire a licensed registered or master guide who is licensed in the area you wish to hunt. Or else hunt with a relative "in the first degree of kinship" (basically a parent, sibling or child) who is a legal resident of Alaska.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
thanks 458

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think it's second degree of kinship--the definition in the regulation lists 21 different relatives that qualify--unless it changed recently (as most Alaska hunting regs often do).

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Yes,I know the definition goes on but I guessed a simplified version would get the message across

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you go to the Alaska hunting Proclamation.
That will answer all your questions officially.
Just a note a non U.S. citizen needs a guide for all hunting. ALIENS
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reading the Alaska hunting regs, is like reading the IRS tax codes. Smiler

Posts: 21 | Location: MI | Registered: 23 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Ya, no joke!! And then you.need to know EXACTLY where you are if say your in a vehicle, boat, snow go or airplane. Knowing where ownership boundaries are is a real challenge. It takes time, effort and money to figure out where this boundary and that open season and that closed season is. As an Alaskan resident, ya start to figure out that a licensed guide is a good thing in many ways.

I think lots of the complainers about needing to use a guide think once they get.to Alaska its just, Guns a Blazin.
That will get them a trip to the crowbar hotel.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Or you need a good Alaskan women, who knows how to read the Regs for you. Big Grin

Posts: 21 | Location: MI | Registered: 23 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild2010:
Reading the Alaska hunting regs, is like reading the IRS tax codes. Smiler

Honestly, I've never found the Alaska game regs all that daunting. Get good maps of the area you want to hunt and study the regs.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I'm just a spoiled Southeast subsistence deer hunter from Unit 4. 6 tags/ 6 months . Lots of deer around. Filling the freezer is just a skiff ride away. .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote