Find
Notify
Tools

Tracy Arm for Mt Goats?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
I was wondering if anyone here has hunted Mt Goats in Tracy Arm during the winter?

I seem to recall Cold Bore has, but I may be wrong.

Just looking for tips on where to anchor and such.

Thanks!

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Brian,

What's your definition of "winter" anyway? The season for goats in Unit 1C ends Nov 30th. I reckon you mean sometime in November.

Where to anchor. Well I know many horror stories here. There aren't really any anchorages execpt at the entrance near Holkham Bay. Just about everything else is a shear drop off into Davey Jones locker.

I'd suggest someone stays on the boat and drops hunters off. It's hard enough getting folks onto shore.

Oct-Nov weather is awefully squirrely in S.E. Pick your days very carefully. A couple of years ago a buddy got stuck an extra week down there. Couldn't make it back when the high pressure and Taku Winds kicked in.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mushkeg Man.

I was thinking about Williams Cove there, or the small bight closer to the entrance. My boat anchors well in 20 fathoms.

I'd agree with leaving somebody on the boat though!

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
BW

I hunted in there with Parker Guide Service. As suggested we moored the 60ft Nepenthe at the mouth and hunted in with a skiff each day. I did a load of DIY hunts in my years in Alaska but that is not a place where I would feel comfortable unless I had a big boat and a great skiff. There really is no place to camp. The slush from the glacier makes skiff travel dicey and it is even hard to find a place to get out for shot at a goat. BUT the goats are there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I've seen the Nepenthe in Cresent Harbor, it's for sale I do believe.

I've got the boat...

and the skiff...

now I just need some time. Smiler

Thanks for all the great advice! This is just for me and a couple fellow Alaskan friends. I've tried hunting the local alpine lakes here several times, and am ready for something a bit different.

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BW, If you ever need a partner for a long deer hunt on Kodiak I will be your new best friend!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Kodiak is a bit out of my range, by a few hundred miles. Smiler

But, I've just sent off for my Transporter License, and with some help from the Feds, for a Tongass NF Special Use Permit, I'd love to take more Alaskans hunting around there, and the rest of S.E. Alaska.

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,

OK! go in November and you will find many gots on the cliffs. This is not a place for a B&C animal but the coats sure are nice then.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote