Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Just curious as to what bullets you all are using as a general one for the .375 H&H on moose and similar size critters. I have had great luck with the 260-grain Nosler Partitons on elk, but have not tried them on bigger game. I also had good results with the 300-grain A-Frame on a 2067-pound eland.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I use 300 gr. Sierra game Kings in one of my .375's and 270 gr. Hornadys in the other.

I have taken Moose, Caribou, Black and brown bear, Dall sheep and blacktail deer with the Sierras and both kinds of bear and a goat with the Hornadys.

No problems at all. I also shot a bull moose one time with a factory loaded 270 gr. corelock and it did well also.

I think your Noslers would work fine but I have never tried one.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have used 300 gr GKs exclusively, but want to try the 270 TSX just for something to do.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Your 300 A Frames or 300 TSX would be fine. Anything that requires a .375 probably isn't going to need shooting past 200 yards and likely past 150 or 100 yards. So for me the flat trajectory idea of lighter bullets doesn't hold water. The 300 grain Swifts or Barnes will be flat enough and provide all kinds of penetration on even the biggest animals from ANY angle. Just my 2 cents.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
For the .375H&H , I like the 235gr TSX.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1374 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 270 gr TSX. Not alot of experience with them, they have shot great in several 375 H&H. As far as game a bear at a ranged 220 and caribou at exactly 300 yds. Both one shot.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been using the Barnes 270 grain TSX since 2004 in my 375 H&Hs. Primarily in Africa, Plains Game to Cape Buffalo with very good results and great accuracy.

Velocity @ 2700 fps.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 gr partitions have served me well

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loud

I have to agree with jjs. There are no flies on the 270 TSX. When I lived in AK I used the 300 SAF there and in Africa with great satisfaction but I think now if I did it over I'd use the 270 TSX for everything. I've had great luck with it. The 260 ACB is another one I'd consider if I wanted to reach out there for an elk or other big ungulates.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in almost complete agreement with Mark and would only add that I've taken multiple grizzly, moose, caribou, black bear, etc. with 300 grains in Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, TSX, and Nosler Partition, all with excellent results. I really like the penetration of the 300 grain. I determine which of these excellent bullets will shoot well in a particular gun and then use it exclusively. Most of these bullets are built with exceptional quality and characteristics today and they all work well.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a .375 and have never taken an elk, My comments may not apply but if I had a .375, my bullet of choice would be a NorthFork with a Partition second.
I use NF's in my .338 and have found they are at least as reliable, more accurate and lose less weight better than a Partition. In fact even though it really isn't necessary, I'm thinking of going to the NF for my .270 WSM once I get a consistantly accurate load worked up.
NF's cost more but the cost of a bullet when you want to fill the freezer is a moot point with me. They seem to be the most overlooked bullet when subjects of this type come up. More guys oughta try 'em.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX, Either 270 or 300. The trajectory is almost identical to a 30-06. With proper zero, boint blank to at least 250 yds.

After the first two safaris, I've used nothing but Barnes for the last eight. My Africa battery: 30-06, 375 H 'n H, 458 Lott.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Have killed a couple with 270gr bullets.

Didn't die any quicker than the ones I shot with arrows!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
300grs Hornady RN and at the moment I try the 300grs Woddleigh RN...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am estimating 40 animals fell to one of my H&H's and bullets used were the 300 gr Partitions, 300 grain Barnes originals and 300 grain Hornady solids.
Animals were blacktail deer, caribou, moose and griz.
Never recovered a bullet and the only difference noticed were the animals shot with the solids took a few more seconds to drop over.

IMO would have no reservations about using any of the modern .375 bullets weighing 270 - 300 grains.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 300 swift a frames have worked great for me. I like the 300 gn as if I have to switch to a solid in africa I want them to match up to my soft a and would not shoot lighter solids. With the a frame I have numerous 1 shot kills on cape buff so it will handle just about anything else other than the real big boys with ease.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had the pleasure of hunting Alaska but I did use the 260 Nosler in Africa with great success on Black Wildebeeste, Eland and Kudu. All about the size of elk and Moose.
I simply loaded the 260's to the same poa as the 300 Barnes solids I planned to use on Buffalo and also found useful on impala and duiker.
Here is the Eland

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, that THAT may be a little big for your new 257 Weatherby!

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I may not be a Velocifile but I,m not too crazy for slow bullets . I like the 270 gr TSX , AT 2700 FPS it is pretty perfact in the H+H .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
300 gr partitions have served me well

+1
As much as I like the 300grain Swift a-frames and have dispatched lots of critters with them in Africa including cape buffalo I would use the 300grain Nosler partitions they will open up more for you and retain (when I've weighed them) 72-84% bullet weight which is what I would want with brown bear.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote