New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Alaskan girls do for fun.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is how real Alaskan girls have a good time. My lovely wife, Etta spotted this cow this evening and made a great, one shot kill with her little BSA Majestic 308. Distance was about 30 yards, quartered away. The 150 grain Barnes TSX shredded the front portion of the liver, punched a 1.5" hole through the lungs and exited just behind the off shoulder. I was really surprised at the amount of bloodshot meat on the off side but I cannot complain about the performance.

We were actually headed back on the wheeler to the truck for a sandwich. Our plan was to head back in and watch a nice meadow for the evening. I usually spot game before her but she grabbed my arm and whispered "stop, moose, a cow moose". She got of the old gravel about five yards and made the shot. What a girl.

Of course moose hunting is great fun. Till you pull the trigger. Man was I beat when we got in last night. Still feel like I took a whoopin'. But it was worth it.

Thanks for looking.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atta Girl!!!!!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great moose!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another alaskan girl. 11 her first big game animal. 110gr sierra pro hunter @ 2730fps out of her 270 winchester. 30-40 yard quarter away shot, bullet destroyed the lungs and came to rest just under the hide of the off shoulder. bullet weighed just over 50grs.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I'll bet that load is a nice soft shooter. She looks like a happy kid. Congrats.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Wish I could get my wife to hunt with me.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Mart

You are one lucky man

Very envious

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
Mart

You are one lucky man

Very envious

Don't I know it. I tell everyone that I married up. God blessed me with a far better woman than I deserved.

Mart

one of us
posted Hide Post
mart - you got to really love a woman considerate enough to shoot a moose just off 4-wheeler trail. tu2

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Not only that but I was able to get the wheeler right to the moose. I like it when I only have to pack moose quarters three feet. My wife is so thoughtful. Big Grin

Mart

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Tasty eatin'.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, seeing women and kids hunting and then getting results like that.
I'm happy for you and them.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5957 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote