New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off Topic,Need info about Barrow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,I could use some input about Barrow and a company named ASRC.I'm thinking about applying for a job with them.I won't have to live there year round,but I would be on a rotation shedule.

Posts: 42 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
What do they do up there?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oil company

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I believe this is their website. http://www.asrcenergy.com/

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70,I already know about the website.Thats the company I'm going to apply for a job with.What do you know about Barrow?

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on living in Fairbanks or some other part of the state? I would be more concerned about where i'm actually going to be living than where i'm working since you won't spend most of yout time there. Barrow is very remote and has long, cold, dark winters, you can expect to see no daylight for a majority of the winter. Other than that, I would do a search on the net and see what else it has to offer.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
posted Hide Post
For someone not raised in Barrow I would think the negatives far out way the positives. It is a desolate place with a very harsh enviroment. If you are working there and living in oil company facility just part of the year it might be fine as I'm sure the wages are great. To make a home there would be real challenge.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12931 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna be on a rotation schedule, where are your "headquarters" gonna be? I can't believe you plan to fly back to Miss. on each rotation. I spent a year in Barrow from 1972-1973 - never again. This all before all the hoopla about oil, etc but things are nicer now. The guys are correct, if you're not at least somewhat familiar with the environmental/social conditions of the area, you're gonna be in for a real shock. I have no clue as to how you even expect to provide housing while there - if housing is provided by the employer, then maybe ok. I know a lady who's a school bus driver up there, she & her husband own a house here in Fbks. and he works on the haul road for the state. The only way she can afford housing there is thru her church organization. She's been doing this for five years now. She just recently told us that their salaries had been cut. Then there's the weather to contend with. The sun doesn't rise above the horizon for 3 months of the year. Contrary to common thinking, winter months do have a bit of daylight. The sun reflects off the ice cap providing a red glow for an hour or so. They have a 2 year community college there and from what I've been told, virtually everyone takes classes. Ya gotta keep busy.
These are just some of my observations and experiences. I'd really think long & hard before I took a job at Pt. Barrow. Good luck with whatever you decide. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is camp up there provided by ASRC, I have a brother driving tractor/trailor rig doing "toxic" waste and is paid very very good. works 4 on 2 off. If you work in the village of Barrow I concur with the rest. I worked on the infamous Black Stock Project yrs back and toughed it out for 3 months-won't do that again. Cost of living is outrageous!

Wife works for the North Slope Borough 5 wks on 4 wks off---pay is excellent with benefits and retirement. It is a enviromentally challenged location for sure. Hostile in many regards-just be flexible.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I was just there a week or so ago, and am going back Tuesday. Working a North Slope job 24 miles south of Barrow out an ice road.

ASRC is a good enough company. I don't know about their benefit package though. I almost interviewed for a job with them myself, but the timing was wrong and I've already got a good job.

Haven't seen their camp in town, most of us have been staying at Ilisagvik college dorms. Nothing fancy, but better than the Peak camp I'll be going back too next week.

I personally know folks who travel from Tennessee to work on the Slope, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and it's still worth it. In fact, I often compare airfare with him, and he often pays less to Anchorage than I do from Sitka. Naturally a schedule with more time on would make a guy even more money, such as 3 and 2 (weeks.)

I've got some recent pictures of Barrow, I'll try and get them posted soon.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Here's a rolligon. They are able to travel over snow covered frozen tundra without damaging the fragile ground....

A couple typical scenes in Barrow...

This dog might qualify as the 'farthest most north dog'. In the background is the frozen Chukchi Sea...

A wood boat project...

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BW,thanks for the photos and yeah,I'll check up on the longest rotation shedule I can get,3-2 would be great.
But yeah,guys,I'm gonna stay in whatever,the company provides,as long as it has heat,I ain't gonna quible about A/C.But I do intend flying back an forth mostly,but if I can't get home,I'll go invade my Aunt and cousins in Anchorage,mostly my Aunt,ain't sure if my cousins wives can cook worth spit,but my Aunt Willy can make so fine biscuits,lol

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I lived in Barrow in 1999 and 2000. Send me a pm if you have specific questions.

I didn't mind it, but think National Geographic Eskimo village instead of a town with 4500 people like it reads.

There are some good but expensive resteraunts, social life is really rough (but mostly revolves around the resteraunts).

People are super clicky there.

I was a cop, so I new cops and some of the people at the hospital, and the DA. The public defenders wouldn't talk to a cop outside of work, and they were all single women.

I will say this it's an abso-freaking-lutly horrible place to be single.

Good luck!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
btr568
I am from Alabama and applied for a wastewater rotation job at a mine in Ak. Although I did'nt get the job, it did spark an interest to do the very same thing you are considering. Please keep us posted, I'd like to see how things work out for you. I might even apply for something myself. Thanks
31 bertram

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrow is a shithole.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moose-Hunter:
Barrow is a shithole.

Well, to many...

But, it's their 'shithole' and some of them love it.

Brian

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Probably the hardest place to like in Alaska that I have been. The weather has nothing to do with it. It's 100% the people.

I will say that there are some good places to eat in Barrow, but for the most part s.h.i.t-hole!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote