THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Is there a rustproof coating for blued barrels?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is there a rustproof coating for blued barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kbob,

The old Johnson's paste wax trick works quite well. Make sure to degrease all metal before applying. Also put plenty in the barrel channel, reciever area and outside of stock. Of course the best way to assure you are good to go is to Teflon the metal and get a synthetic stock. Since you may be spending big bucks on an Alaska hunt perhaps a few hundred spent on your rifle might make the difference between a successful hunt and a bust because your rifle changed POI.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12936 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
THEBEAR78 'S reply about "poor mans parkerizing" reminded me of Phil Shoemakers rifle coatings.

Phil paints his working rifles (the whole rifle)with wing walk paint - that gritty rubberized black paint used for the strip on the wing of a low wing small plane that you walk on to get in the plane.

Even when its raining you have a sure grip on these rifles.

This is one rifle he leaves in the outhouse at his main camp - I think it was a rigby 416 and it was always loaded.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AFTER READING some of the above I don't feel so "different" with my krinkle paint from Brownells
this is my .375H&H Model 70. It is well over 20 years old and the blue under the paint is NEW condition. THe stock is a McMillan kevlar stock. the whole thing weighs in at 8 pounds with the scope.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who uses LINSEED oil, he applies it to all metal parts except the bolt face and inside the barrel. The linseed dries and gives a tough finish which can be removed with mineral spirits and elbow "grease"

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Is it for protection during use or storage? I have a set of Valmet 9.3x74R barrels that seem to rust on the adjustment ring constantly. A spray shot of "Guard it" goes on like wax and really sticky and I've never seen rust on that set of barrels again. When you want to use them or show them, it wipes off pretty easily.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys. This protection will be for use while hunting, not storage. A synth stock is in the works. For me simpler is better so I'll try the j-wax beore going to a more permanent coating (ie. teflon or paint).
Thanks and happy holidays.