THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Browns in GMU 13, blacks near Seward?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Browns in GMU 13, blacks near Seward?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just went into the regs and the statement has been removed from them. A couple of years ago It was stated in the portion of YOU CAN NOT . About 5 years ago you could hunt coyotes with the use of lights under hunting regs. Then they changed it to the trapping regs.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Shane
If you want to mount or rug a brown bear, mid August is way too early. Brown bears shot in august usually look like they have mange.

Robert,

I was under the impression that in August their coats would be all rubbed out, and growing back. Not real thick yet, but at least not 'mangy'. What do you think? Mid-August is really the only time I can make it. I wsh I could go later for some of the other hunts, but this way I can do some nice fishing too.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>
>
Shane
>
Brown bears shot in aug. are some times called Gorilla bears. Because their hides are so ugly. ( call this taxidermist to verify 907-262-7950 ask for mike ) August bears might "look" all right from a distance. But if you look at their belly, neck ,legs, they will have thin hair 1/2" to 1" inch long and their belly will have bald spots. They will have thin 2-3 inch hair on their back.I shot a BC Brown bear November 1 on Kodiak Island that sill was not fully haired ( belly hair was to thin to mount standing upright )
My advice to you is plan two different trips one at the peak of the salmon season and one I oct. for Bears.

>

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote