Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer from Whittier
 Login/Join

posted
I am planning a fall deer hunt from Whittier. I have a 20 ft boat and plan on heading out with my son and a buddy. I know we will not be able to make Montague in the Sep/Oct months and am looking for any tips on possible Islands, coves or beaches that may be productive during that time. Any recommendations???

Posts: 6 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 03 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've heard that most of the islands closer to Whittier, ie the naked island group, culross etc get hammered pretty hard, because they are the closest islands to Whittier. Be prepared to hunt hard and smart. Head high and glass. You need to get to the areas where the deer have been driven by hunters. It is amazing how quickly and quietly the deer can make their way through growth that tangles up the hunter.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKElkHunter:
I am planning a fall deer hunt from Whittier. I have a 20 ft boat and plan on heading out with my son and a buddy. I know we will not be able to make Montague in the Sep/Oct months and am looking for any tips on possible Islands, coves or beaches that may be productive during that time. Any recommendations???

Take lots of fuel beer call the unit 6 ADF&G
I think it's in valdez ask for deer population survey data? Good luck!! dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....When I hunted there in 80 ,81 and 82, We found the deer to be abundant where a plane wasn,t able to land and there wasn,t a good anchorage.or NO anchorage at all..........I don,t know how hard a winter they are haveing but I may have to look else where than here ...It started snowing heavy in October and it still is ... We have gotten 4' of snow so far this MONTH........The hunts to the outside of PWS in the fall can leave you sitting on the beach for 2 weeks waiting on the seas to abbate to get picked up off the beach.....Which could make for a fun adventure , but not if you have responsibilities in town.....I would look at the outside coast of Montague..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote