Find
Notify
Tools

Afognak elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
How does one approach an elk hunt on Afognak?

I am guessing their are boat outfits that will float you over to the rock and pick you up weather permitting at the end?

I guess the hard part is killing an elk and ending up with any of it not being bear food.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
How does one approach an elk hunt on Afognak?

I am guessing their are boat outfits that will float you over to the rock and pick you up weather permitting at the end?

I guess the hard part is killing an elk and ending up with any of it not being bear food.

Lots of transporters in Kodiak, Air or water. Guides are available. I killed a huge dry cow in Malina Bay 10 yrs ago. You gut the animal fast then move the meat as fast as possible, Shooting a Bear that claims your kill aint DLP dancing Wink

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there are two draw times, mid Sept and Late Sept-early Oct. Once the draw hunts are done any left over qouta goes to registration. There are a few boats that will take you but the cost is pretty steep, better off flying. The bulls don't get very big and the success rate is something like 15%. The mid Sept hunt is tough because all the alders still have leaves. Did that hunt a few years back, my hunting partner missed a nice 5x5 on that hunt.

I've been a couple other times on a friends boat and haven't seen anything. We went last fall in early Nov. Here's the group we were after.

Here's some pics of the 3 bulls we took. Did I mention they are huge not to mention we were 2 miles from the beach.

We went over on a 60' cod/crab boat that a friend of a friend owns. It was nice sleeping in a bunk instead of with the bears. Of course we got one bull out the first night but had to leave the other two. A sow and two cubs had claimed the carcass and a nice 9' boar had drug off the 4x4. We were able to chase them off without too much of a problem and also able to salvage most of the meat from this guy.

A lot of packing, but the ride home was nice.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Awesome thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote