New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're commin' your way
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to AK last week, Anchorage to Homer to Healy to Nanana to Fairbanks and back Anchorage. Noticed you've all got a lot of Parks, to many and to much in my opinion. Also noticed a lot of the CA,Greenie/parky,tree hugging, anti-hunting types going/migrating your way. It only took me a couple days to see it. Beware and take precautions or you'll be in the same predicament we pro-gun/prohunting are in here in CA and several of the other states in the lower 48. The anti's have arrived and more are on their way. Seems like their the ones that can afford to move there and they're bringing $$ and influence with them.
I was very impressed with the mayor of Healy. I wish Dave was my representative.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. B:
You're right on. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when only a few miles north of McKinly Park entrance there's a complete traffic signal system to protect the idiots. Everybody wants to come up here to "experience the wilderness" but they have to include every amenity from home including the kitchen sink. Ya gotta remember that the Feds control a lot of the state and as usual, bow to the whims of the greenies. Actually, we've got quite a few of 'em up here - the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I love it when the guy that pays the bills (the sportsman) has less influence on political events than the guy who doesn't (enviro wackos). Don't get me going on this one. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bill <> Did you take your daughter with you ??..
Haven't heard from you in sometime.. Maddog

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Noticed you've all got a lot of Parks, to many and to much in my opinion. Also noticed a lot of the CA,Greenie/parky,tree hugging, anti-hunting types going/migrating your way...Seems like their the ones that can afford to move there and they're bringing $$ and influence with them.

No doubt about it. I can live with the number/size of the parks we have now, I guess, but the "pretty people" still aren't satisfied (even though there was the "No More" clause in ANILCA). They want it all.

I think these idiots bought homes several years ago in California, enjoyed an artificial appreciation in home prices and similar bubble in tech stocks (whining about the Reagan administration, which made it all possible, the whole while), and are now selling out and bringing their capital gains to Alaska and the Rocky Mountain states.

That'd be okay if they left their stupid politics and ideologies behind.

What we need here is a good old fashioned Alaska economic depression. I've seen it before. When the money leaves, many of them leave, too.

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Did you take your daughter with you ??..
Haven't heard from you in sometime."

I didn't take my daughter. I really couldn't afford to go myself but, I couldn't resist either. I figured the halibut will help offset my grocery budget. Didn't catch a big one though. Was fun, I enjoyed it. Beautiful country, some of it reminded me of areas in up state N.Y. and PA and what CA might have looked like several thousands of years ago.
If I can ever fool myself into thinking I can afford it again I'm going back, even if it's just to fish for a few days. Sure would've like to have latched onto one of those Salmon in the Anchor.
I did notice the moose are everywhere, in backyards, in the stream right beside me (at first glance I thought someones horse got loose), beside the road in the notch in the park west of Healy. Saw the mountain goats on the hill while traveling south of Anchorage to Homer. Didn't see any bear, other than the mounted ones in the terminal, awesome, wasn't going to support the parks to see one either.
I'm still sulking (depressed) about the cost of non-resident hunting there. Maybe I'll win the lottery someday.
I did note that my preconception of the girls there was very wrong. Thought they'd all be butterballs, NOT. Began thinking about the idea of marrying one so that I could hunt as first kindred (sp?). Wonder how the state would view that.

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worst of all, we have those folks, the ones with little rainbow flag stickers on their bumpers. Yesterday I was waiting for a light to change, and there in front of me was a Subaru with CA plates, and a "Our diversity is our strength" sicker surrounded by the rainbow. That's when I thought: "Yes, sure...diversity is perversity."

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote