THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Alaska Bullet Works-Kodiak Bonded Bullet Question?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Bullet Works-Kodiak Bonded Bullet Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
Has anyone used these bullets? How was the accuracy/terminal performance?

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I've used them in my 1895 Marlin and they work wonderfully. They are expensive but if you only use them for hunting they are not that expensive. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the 405gr Kodiak bonded in my guide gun in 45/70. They are very accurate and one of the few bullets out there that I absolutely trust even on big moose and bears. They are one of the best bullets out there.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
they are one of my absolute favorite bullets both for the 45-70 and my 458 Win. they hold together better than some well publicised big name brands.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got to go and agree with the rest and say as well in my guide gun the 405 Kodiaks did a fine job both on grizz and moose. I don't mind buying the fellas bullet, forget his name but he is a cordial fella for sure.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use them in our Marlin .50 Alaskan. Accurate with excellent penetration.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..The 400 gr 458 rn bullet I haven,t been able to break up even at 2400 fps and 10 ft .. But they get about an inch wide .The 350 gr. round shoulder . @ 2500 has held together very well also....My Rugers like the 275 gr 338 bullet I,ve gotten 5/8 " groups at 200 m with them and they retain 75% of thier weight or more ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use them in both ,my 50 Alaskan and my 35 Whelen
Have always had, great results with them on game. thumb

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I've got a few boxes of these in .30/200 gr, .338/250 gr and .375/270 gr.

They pretty much remind me of the old Barnes Originals, but with a bonded core. I've been to their bullet making shop a couple of times.

I can't really comment on their terminal performance, but I do have several general comments on why I don't like them or use them any more:

1. When they form the tips on their spitzer bullets, they do a crappy job of visually inspecting them. I guess they think it's o.k. to have the exposed lead tip "smeared" back over on top of the ogive (copper portion of bullet.) I like bullets to look all purty.

2. The .338 cal 250 gr bullets are a semi-roundnose bullet. When I seated them to the rolled in cannelure, the bullets were WELL INTO THE LANDS on my M700 BDL. WTF - don't these guys check this crap beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, both these guys are very nice to talk with, but I use other bullets now. They do make some bullets for obscure lever gun calibers. If anyone is interested in the .338 or .375 bullets, let me know. I can ship USPS from ZIP 99821.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Hey Skeg ;' I,m interested in the 375 bullets , I,ll pm you..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them on safari in 2005 and they performed well. I also used them to take a grizzly and a black bear in BC in the same year. Here is a photo of some of them recovered from the griz and black with other bullets recovered from African game to compare with them:

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the Kodiak bullets extensively through my .358 STA and was very impressed and excited about their accuracy. When I tested them in my toughness test box the 250 grain turned to a silver mush at 2950-3000 fps. At the loads you guys are talking about with the 45-70's and others of that speed, they are wonderful bullets, step them up to my speeds and it is another story. My test box is wet file paper with a plastic covered notebook and a large Bison bone for good measure. I was preparing for an Alaskan hunt in big Bear country. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote