New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bears
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could some tell me the difference between a brown bear and a grizzly bear.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown Bears are coastal and Grizzly bears are inland. Same species but due to origin and Diet is what seperates them in the hunting books.

Doug Klunder

Posts: 163 | Location: United States | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browns also tend to be a bit larger probably due to genitics and diet.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
They are Ursus arctos weather they are in Spain, Wyoming, Scandanavia, Mongolia, Siberia, the Yukon, or Alaska.

Diet makes the ones in coastal Alaska and Kamchatka bigger.

I was talking to a bear biologist once and she said all ursus arctos bears need one of the following two diets to survive; ground squirrels or salmon, the rest is incidental take.

I met a man when I was a kid that was friends with my uncle. He was from Alberta but he had moved to Wyoming in the 1960s. He had lived in something like 20 different countries building dams all over and had taken about 40 bears. Only person I have ever met that has taken all 3 Asian black bear species and brown bears in 3 continents.

What's really wierd is that the 5 species of black bears are so different, and there is really only one species of brown bear, one of polar bear, and the panda.

Quick quiz name the 5 species of black bears without looking.

Spectacled
Asiatic
Sloth
Maylay or Sun
American (ursus americanus)

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska Fish & Game biologis' genitic research shows the Coastal brownie from Southeast Alaska is more closely related to the polar bear, so there are some fine differences from the mountain griz-peninsula bownie, and those on the ABC Islands/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Chaz, you have that mixed up.

Brown bears on Kodiak have been on Kodiak for about 10,000 years.

The Polar bear is also a fairly recent anomaly, starting about 15,000 years in Siberia.

With the bears on Kodiak being isolated, they are "purer" (closer to the original of 10,m000 years ago)than brown bears of today.

As the polar bear is an offshoot from the brown bears of 10-15,000 years ago in Siberia and the Kodiak bears are unchanged for 10,000 years they have similar genetic lines.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few inland griz that can pass as a Brown bear, due to their size and diet (salmon) along the Copper river, and the Salcha river up near Fairbanks. I know there is a huge griz running around coldfoot, I saw last year moose hunting, that would go easily 8 foot or better his pad was over 7 inches, just couldn't get close to him with my bow.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.Is there a difference in tempremant and agresion or are they pretty much the same.Ive often seen that the Kodiak bears are advertised as been a bigger brown bear is that true.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The bears that eat salmon weather they be in Alaska, BC, or Kamchatka are much more docile than the ones that don't.

Bears on Kodiak, SE Alaska, and Kamchatka are the biggest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you two are both right . I know that in Southeast they have done D.N.A. testing on the Coastal Browns and there D.N.A. is closer to a polar bear. My understanding is you have two different views biologist take some lump all Brown bears in the same classification and some separate them into lots of different classifications. It stands to reason that Kodiak bears being isolated far so long are going to be different than bears a thousand miles away that have been isolated in Southeast.

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Purely on a visual basis, the polar bear bares a striking resemlance to the black bear. It has the roman nose, no hump between his shoulders. Although they are much bigger they sure look alot like the blackies. This is not scientific, it is just an observation.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A thousand pounds and a .300 Winchester to a .416 Hoffman.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly hit by SUV on Gambell, shot by police

By ELIZABETH BLUEMINK | ebluemink@adn.com

Published: August 22nd, 2008 03:40 PM
Last Modified: August 22nd, 2008 03:40 PM

State wildlife officials say a 700-pound brown bear was seriously injured, then shot dead by Anchorage police, after it darted in front of an SUV on Gambell Street this morning.

Story tools

Comments

E-mail a friend

Print

Digg this

Seed Newsvine

Send link via AIM

Yahoo! Buzz

Font size : A | A | A

A Land Rover driven by Howard Hawkins, 57, struck the male bear near the Cal Worthington Ford dealership between 3:30 and 4 a.m. after it emerged from the Chester Creek greenbelt, said Anchorage Police spokesman Paul Honeman.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologists had tracked the 15-year-old brown bear by radio collar from 2006 until this spring. During that period, it was never implicated in any bad interactions with people. The bear traveled frequently through the city's urban greenbelt and often fished for salmon in Ship Creek, according to the biologists.

Today, "he didn't look both ways before he crossed (the road) and he paid for it," said Sean Farley, a Fish and Game bear biologist.

An Anchorage Police officer on road duty just happened to come across the accident and instructed Hawkins to get back in his truck, Honeman said.

The bear moved off the road but then started to charge, probably in bluff, Honeman said. At that point, one of the police officers shot the bear dead

------------------------------------------------

maybe there is a 3rd type. Urban brownies. they seem to be much slower.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
The bears that eat salmon weather they be in Alaska, BC, or Kamchatka are much more docile than the ones that don't.

Bears on Kodiak, SE Alaska, and Kamchatka are the biggest.

D99, I think that the Alaska Peninsula should be added to your list of where the largest bears are as well. There have been some serious monsters taken on it. I believe that there is one or two possibly in the top 10 or 12. Book is also measured by skull size I realize but I know that high 10' bears are common and 11'+ bears are taken on there as well...

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medium, For the last couple of years I have said the next world record will be coming of the peninsula.

The bears my wife has done from the cold bay area are amazing and big. Kodiak and the ABC's have nice bears and some monsters but the penn is the place I would pick.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
Medium, For the last couple of years I have said the next world record will be coming of the peninsula.

The bears my wife has done from the cold bay area are amazing and big. Kodiak and the ABC's have nice bears and some monsters but the penn is the place I would pick.

Joel, I think that your prediction may prove to be correct in the not too far off future. I met a guy this last summer that shot one out of Port Heiden that was #10 or #11 a few years back. A friend of mine guides in the Canoe Bay area and he said that he has seen prints that have over an 11" spread. I would pick the Penn over the others as well.

Jason

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote