New
Find
Notify
Tools

backpack question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have booked a Dall sheep hunt for next fall in the Yukon. We will fly bush plane from Whitehorse to camp, then horseback out to fly camp for the duration of the hunt. Hunting will be on foot. My outfitter has left for camp until late next month, so I thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of AR on pack styles.

In my hunting to date I've never needed a pack to carry out meat, or to move camp around. Just enough to take care of me for a day's hunting (with small emergency gear, just in case). So my packs have always been day-hiker in design and size.

What is the best style of pack for the type of hunt described above? Is an external frame style necessary? Obviously function takes priority, but are they as uncomfortable as they look?

many thanks for your thoughts

Posts: 232 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I would not even look at the Cabela’s guides or outfitters packs. After splitting a Billy Goat in half with my brother and packing out of Kodiak with well over 100 lbs, my Cabela’s guides pack was a piece of junk. It was only on its second run in the sticks. I like my Kifaru packs now. Check out there website. I like the military versions best. Packs are very personnel. You really need to assess what you are taking and how you want to access important gear. www.kifaru.net

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Barnies Sports Challet in Alaska sells the best packs in the business....but you will spend over $500. They will last forever. The frames are made by Camptrails and look like the Cabelas pack however they are not the same. I have used them guiding in AK and they are the best thing going IMO.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I took a crooked horn outfitters pack on a sheep hunt a couple of years ago. Between that and my guide's pack, we were able to get all of the boned meat, a full cape and the gear out on our backs. Those packs are great. I have both the outfitter (day pack) and the larger pack. These are internal frame, but I wouldn't take an external frame for sheep, because I think the internal is large enough and more comfortable. The website is www.crookedhorn.com.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Barney's Frontier gear packs. Barney's is on Northern Lights Blvd.

I have been using their packs for 10 years now and have not been let down. Your back will thank you.

If you prefer internal frame , then Kifaru is excellent for internal frames. I Have two of those. Very comfortable.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Barneys or Kifaru packs personally but they are very popular among locals. The one I use is also very popular...Badlands 4500.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can easily get 60 pounds of boned out meat into a Badlands 4500. The Kifaru is like a Badlands on steroids. I have both packs and each serve a different purpose.
Barneys sells top rate stuff but I doubt you will need a pack that large. The Badlands will make a great pack for all your personal gear. I would guess your outfitter would handle the meat hauling details.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I went with the Badlands vs. the Kifaru was price. The Kifaru stuff is too expensive IMO.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
s texan;

who is your outfitter? good luck and be safe.

y.d.;

last year, i borrowed dan montgomery's personal internal frame badlands 4500 to make a 5 hour one way resupply hike with dan into the park for some guys who had the hunt before i. hauled food, fuel and water. the pack was very comfortable and well made.

the kifaru packs seem to be a little heavier, than the badlands.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
That's funny I was going to say the Badlands Packs seamed heavy compaired to the Kifaru packs.

My brother in Alaska likes his external frame Frontier pack. I think it is from the same Barney's out fit in Anchorage.

The big thing I hate is to many little packets every where and too many straps hanging all over the place. Once my pack is loaded it is clean, neat, easy to access and quiet.

Good hunting

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
........Barney's is on Spenard Blvd.
Barney's is at 936 W. Northern Lights Blvd.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the line that Mystery Ranch has. http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a barneys 7000 cube external frame is the way to go, im sure your guide or somebody at barneys will help you decide ther are a lot of suspension options and bags to choose from , barney caters to sheep hunters and guides this isnt your hikey climey stuff its made for packin and doesnt weigh a ton like other brands

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
akpls,

thanks for the correction.

Barney's is good stuff.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever haul quaerters in an "EBERLESTOCK" brand pack?

Got em' here in Sitka at times. Tried one on last time they had em' in and it felt pretty nice.

Looking at the model "J104"

Any info appreciated,

Thanks,

p.e.

Eberlestock "J104" Pack

Posts: 37 | Location: KODIAK, AK | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
The reason I went with the Badlands vs. the Kifaru was price. The Kifaru stuff is too expensive IMO.

Yep. They make great stuff, but it is kind of pricey...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote