New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all...! I am scheduled for a brown bear hunt in Alaska in September. I was wondering if there were any problems these days taking guns from Texas to Sitka Alaska and back.
I went to Africa in 2007 and luckly didn't have any gun related issues.
Just wanted to see what's the best plan for getting there and back without loosing my new 416 Remington!
wave

If it can't take it......it can't stay.

Posts: 62 | Location: Longview, Tx | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Okie 7 STW:
Hi all...! I am scheduled for a brown bear hunt in Alaska in September. I was wondering if there were any problems these days taking guns from Texas to Sitka Alaska and back.
I went to Africa in 2007 and luckly didn't have any gun related issues.
Just wanted to see what's the best plan for getting there and back without loosing my new 416 Remington!
wave

Well if you're walking the biggest problem I can see is your arms may get tired holding the gun case. Also don't forget to bring or rent a dry suite as the water you would have to swim to get to Sitka is mighty cold any time of year!

If your flying no problems. You don't need any permits or forms if traveling in the US. Just show up to baggage check in and tell them you have the firearm. They will have you take it to TSA at oversize lugagge. They check it, put a slip in with it, you lock the case, and it's on its way. Good luck on your hunt!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett. Flying for sure! Should have made that known up front I guess. killpc

How about ammo? Does it need to be in a seperate checked bag or inside with the firearm? When I went to Africa, I put the ammo in a different checked bag. Went all the way to SA without a hitch. Started back......they made me take it out of the checked bag and put it in the gun case. Came all the way back to Oklahoma like that without a hitch! Wink

Posts: 62 | Location: Longview, Tx | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
In a seperate checked bag. That's what I've always done. Factory ammo in factory box or reloads in a hard plastic box. I always secure it with duct tape to make sure the ammo doesn't get loose.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

My buddy and I flew to Dillingham on a brown bear hunt last fall. We packed our firearms and ammo in the same hard case departing and returning with no problems.

Kill a big one!

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I better check with the airline before I head up there.
Thanks for the info guys!
I can't wait for September to get here.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Is this your first Alaskan hunt? Are you geared up? The right gear makes a big difference on a hunt.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

posted Hide Post
The first time I flew with a rifle after 9/11 I over thought the process and ended up missing my flight!

I figured I would check the rifle in the locked case with the ammo but remove the bolt and put it in my carry on. A rifle minus the bolt = safe right? A bolt with no rifle is just a small chunck of metal right?

TSA had other ideas, since the rifle case was already checked when they threw a fit over the bolt in my carry on, the plane was unloaded, I was sequestered while a bunch of clueless people shook, smelled, and tried to take apart the bolt the whole time asking "what exactly does this thing do?"

Finally made a plane four hours later with everything checked and locked.

I would call the airline and confirm their policies, then double check theirs and TSA's online.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have to but I pull the bolt and put it in the case with the rifle. As mentioned, your ammo can be packed with the rifle but has to be in boxes designed to hold ammo. DON"T leave the cartridges loose. My ammo is always in a plastic ammo box and taped up to keep the top from coming off. Never had a problem.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep........this will be my first Alaskan hunt.
My guide sent me a check list with recommendations on what to bring on the hunt. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum on what works and doesn't work.
I guess my biggest question is how many pairs of base layer.....how many pairs of wool pants........how many wool socks........?
will be taking a float plane out to the hunting vessel, so I would have to guess I need to travel a light as possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. This ia a boat based brown bear hunt.

Rifle should be here tomorrow! Can't wait to get to the range a start getting aquainted. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I discovered about traveling with a gun on the Airlines, once you are in Alaska...

They look at you REAL FUNNY, if you DO NOT have a gun.... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my kind of state!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okie, I am a guide that lives in Sitka and have had little problems with guns. The only time I have had a problem is when flights have been real tight and luggage didn't make the flight. Maybe allow for some time between flights espesically in Seattle. Avoid a flight to Juneau if possible go Seattle , Ketchikan ,Sitka.I am surprised that you are taking a float plane to the boat most guides here pick up people at the airport and away you go. If you have a hunt in mid to late May will see thirty to fifty bears and will be a hunt of a lifetime.Good luck to you
Jim Phillips
Annahootz Alaskan Adventures
annahootz.com

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have hunted 12 countrys and 10 states and each time I returned with my guns to Alaska and never had a problem. For that matter the only problem I had anywhere was with the company policy of a commuter airline in Miami.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bear Guide........my hunt is in September. I am hunting with Bruce Parker. I was told I would fly out by float plane to his boat. I am pretty pumped about this hunt. It's something I have wanted to do all my life. I'm not getting any younger, so this is my year to experience Alaska and all it has to offer. Thanks for the travel tips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be hunting the Northeast end of Baranof Island. Bruce's guide area is a little further away from Sitka than most so saves time to fly . Should be fine as long as weather is good. You will have a great hunt Baranof is spectacular and that part of the Island is a great spot. You will see lots of bears and halibut fishing will be good in the fall. Beautiful big boat also. James Phillips

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote