Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Backpacker ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
I bought some Alaskan Backpacker .44 Mag 320-grain hardcast ammo in Anchorage about 5 years ago for use as bear defense. Has anyone ever taken a brown or grizzly with that cartridge?

Also, does anyone know what is its muzzle velocity?

I have some Garrett .44 Mag Hammerhead 310-grain hardcasts somewhere that I normally fill the cylinders of my Anaconda with but I can't find them. I know that Garrett is a nasty word among some of the big bore boys on this forum but I prefer to use his ammo unless I find out that the Alaska Backpacker is better or just as effective.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........What,s wrong with Garret ???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with Garrett or his ammunition. Like any other cartridge/bullet/loading, you use it for what it can safely and effectively put down.

When I'm in the bush in Alaska I carry my .44 as a backup to my rifle. I am not talking about using my .44 Mag as my primary firearm against a brown or grizzly. Since I don't have a .460 S&W or .500 I want my .44 Mag to dish out the most punishing (from the muzzle end) load available, and I think that Garrett makes that with his cartridges.

BTW, on my way up to the new Cabelas store in Lacey, WA, I was going to stop by Garrett's in Chehalis but I don't have the address. Does anyone know how to get there? I'd like to pickup some more .44 Mag and .45-70 loadings.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is NOTHING from a 44 magnum revolver that can be called a STOPPER on a large aggressive bear unless the brain or upper spine is hit.A non-expanding bullet in the 240-250 grain range will do just as well for that.

Nothing wrong with the heavier bullets except they give many the illusion of being stoppers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garrett Ammo is excellent ammo. The only drawback that I can see is that it is very expensive. However, the only time you'll use it is when you won't care about the cost - the motive will be to save your life.

I agree with ray m - nothing from a 44 Mag (or most handguns) will be a bear stopper. Several years ago I shot a black bear using a Marlin 1895 with Garrett 540 gr. loads. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder, punched through the lungs and exited through the right front shoulder totally destroying the shoulder. The bear still ran 50 yards before it collapsed.

Having said this, I still carry a S&W 329 PD with some type of hot load. The S&W 500, etc are too heavy to pack around all day along with your rifle and pack. If the handgun is too heavy you will end up not carrying it all of the time and that is when you will need it.

Shot placement is very important and should be practiced on a bouncing, weaving, charging target. A one gallon milk jug filled with water suspended by a spring and sliding down a cable towards you is great practice (be sure of a safe background).

Good Luck

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that the .44 Mag is a brown or grizzly bear stopper, even with Garretts. That's what my rifle is for - usually a .338 WinMag or .375 H&H. I carry the .44 in Alaska for use only as a last-ditch weapon until I can get to the rifle.

My .44 is a Colt Anaconda 6-inch and I find it a bit too long for a backup handgun. Before I go back up there I'll be looking at a shorter barrelled .460 S&W or .454 Casull. In dire situations, I will probably be shooting it only once or twice anyway.

For practice, I shoot at rolling tires. Ever try shooting full-power loads with your weak-hand? Good fun for those watching you shoot. Good idea to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Namibiahunter

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I think Garrett Hammerheads are the ticket. I carry a .44 mag as well as a personal defense weapon when ever I'm hunting or in the brush. The .44 is my last ditch gun, double action so I can keep on sqeezing the trigger, until it or I are dead. JUst my $.02.

Cheers
wave

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have faced several bluff charges and there is no need to shoot until he is very close anyway.A brain hit is not that difficult at close range and nothing else will be reliable (from any handgun,in my opinion).

Causing the bear's death does you no good if he simply dies after having his way with you.Body hits with ANY handgun are very unlikely to stop him in his tracks (unless you're very lucky).

In my opinion,it's better to focus on the brain rather than stepping up pistol power which tends to give many of it's carriers false confidence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .44 is my last ditch gun, double action so I can keep on sqeezing the trigger, until it or I are dead. JUst my $.02.

that is the spirit! I carry the same thought behavior and my hand to pistol is pretty sharp. I have carried my wheelguns for many yrs. and have never needed to use it(does not mean I never had a bead on a bear)but if so I hope I have the upper hand to direct my shot toward the sloping head and either penetrate the brain or bounce it off for another shot. Would never consider a body shot-just is not going to work.

I reload my hardcast in weights of 325's or 345's. Use to shoot .454's quite accurately until I started to bang up my wrist so I keep either my 4" 629-1 or my Bisley .45 4 5/8" now in hand or rather strong side.

lots of mental preparations and shooting always is the benefit. Kind of walk softly and carry a big stick kind of thing. Surviving is not enough but to overcome is better.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no quarrel with anyone for carrying whatever they choose.My point was that the super powered handguns which are so much in vogue these days gives many an illusion of stopping power.

When one has such an illusion,there is,at least,the subliminal suggestion that body hits may suffice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Garrett ammo is good stuff. I have shot it in 44 Mag and 45/70.

I have spent a fair amount of time in Grizzly country.

I always carry a 4" S&W 44 Mag.

Usually with Garrett ammo or Federal 300gr Cast Core, which Randy Garrett told me himself, if I cannot get his ammo use the Federal cast core.

I know that only a brain or upper CNS hit will save me from an actual attack.

I train accordingly.

I have been within 20 yards of 3 different grizzly bears, within 40 yards of 2 others.

I felt perfectly safe.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Ray M,

I agree whole heartedly. Killing is not stopping. I carry a .44 mag. because it is about as much recoil as I can take and be accurate with the secoond shot.

These .500's are okay but folks are afraid of them. I have watched guys at the range with these things and they all flinch for the second and sometimes the first shot. Recoil is massive and I haven't read any first hand accounts of them stopping anything.

"In Vogue" is a very appropriate term.\

Just my $.02

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The one grizzly that I've been forced to kill with a handgun dropped instantly from a brain hit.I delivered a follow up shot (also to the head)for insurance.

The handgun just happened to be a 44 magnum because that's been a standard carry gun for me for about 40 years.The load was a hard cast Keith bullet (actual weight-around 245 grains)driven by a healthy dose of 2400.The degree of penetration left no doubt in my mind that it was more than adequate.

If a man carried a 357 magnum with a "full powered load and non-expanding bullet" and delivered it to the brain,I believe he would do just as well.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'll be carrying my 44 mag this spring when I go after a brown bear in the Chugach mountains near Indian/Bird Creek. I also have the Alaskan BackPacker ammo in 320 gr and if I can get close enough i'm going to try and take one with it, but it's going to have to be close, otherwise i'll use the 375 H&H.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote