New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My brother is interested in a bolt action rifle in 300 Win Mag. He tryed Elk huntng this fall and liked it enough to want a new rifle. Being left handed sure doesn't help in this case. I looked at Tikka's and Ruger,Remingtons Don't know what Browning has but I don't they would be a option he would consider. Anything I'm missing out there. May have to build something but would rather just buy something that would work. Thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were my money I would buy a stainless Ruger in 300 Win Mag.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a 300 win mag in a Browning A-Bolt Medallion for about 10 years and it has never failed me. Used it for deer hunting, hog hunting and hunting in Africa for small antelope, warthogs and antleope up to and including kudu.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Mag and it was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Also had a M77 Ruger and it was fine too... don't think you can wrong with either of those choices. Or the Rrem for that matter. I'd say find what fits and feels the best and go from there. Figure on spending a little extra after the initialpurpose on things such as a trigger job and potentially some bedding....

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I'll relay this info to my brother.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Check on the stainless Savages also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
Good advice - Browning or Savage . . .

My old Savage 7 mag is super accurate, and Savage has quite a reputation for very accurate rifles.

I own several A-bolts, and choose them over the Savage because of the 60 degree bolt throw, the trigger is fine, they are glass bedded (so are most Savages) and they just feel solid.

325wsm Medallion
375 H&H stainless w/ boss
270 stainless

Soon to give my 7 mag to my left handed neice and delete that caliber from my collection, getting a 300 win mag stainless A-bolt.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new LH Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag about six months ago. It shoots .75 MOA with good handloads using Barnes 150, 168, and 180 TTSX bullets. I killed an 8-point buck with it in November. It is a really nice looking rifle as well as a good shooter.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some Winchester M70's on gunbroker right now, but in 7MM WSM and 7 Rem Mag.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote