New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am I the only southpaw that gets a little nervous shooting a garand? I just don't like the thought of the operating rod coming right at my face. I've heard they sometimes break, but never heard of someone hurt by it. Am I just being a wimp?

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Was taught to shoot the Garand left-handed when I went through the Air Force Marksmanship School Instructor Course. Later had to fire it in our competition course. Never was bothered by the operating handle. Did worry about M-1 fingers rather than M-1 thumb
Also, when I first started shooting skeet competitively, shot all four gauges with the Rem 1100. Never was bothered by the bolt handle or cases ejecting either.
Of course everyone is different and what bothers one doesn't bother another.
You may want to go to an AR-10 if you want to shoot it in highpower matches.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the Garand in boot camp as a "righty". In '86 or so I started to shot Highpower with the Garand as a "lefty". I've never seen an oprod break under shooting conditions. Be sure to not pull (push)it back to the side...only straight back!

Wear good glasses and don't worry the oprod.

Posts: 282 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ejecting cartridges and such doesn't bother me. I've shot Garands more then a few times. It is strictly the idea of what would happen in the event of an operating rod breaking. While I've never seen it I have heard the do break.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worry more about the loads your using in it then the Opt rod failing .

I've been shooting them for YEARS and have had no problems what so ever , save for a few cases separating but never hurt me or the weapon .

Depending on loads used an adjustable gas plug is a good idea .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of autoloading rifles, and between the powder, cases, and the possibility of metal breaking off while heading towards my face, I always wear shooting glasses (I usually ALWAYS wear eye protection while hunting or shooting).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
It's strange, but shooting our Garand doesn't bother me at all. However, when I shoot any other righty autoloader, like my dad's Benelli SBE, the "operating handle" on that bothers the hell out of me. I can't concentrate on the target with the handle slamming around in my face. I'm not worried about them breaking off simply because it's very unlikely. Even if it does shear off and come at my face, like GeorgeS mentioned, I ALWAYS wear eye protection. I enjoy seeing, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote