THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Ruger Hawkeye African Rifle

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Hawkeye African Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think about the Ruger Hawkeye African Model. Obviously in left hand. I was thinking a 375. I have never been to Africa. But my goal is in two to three years to go on a trip. I have been saving up for a long time for a lion hunt. And I have close to enough money saved up. I will also be hunting some plains game. But not exactly sure what ones yet. I was thinking about taking my Winchester 1886. But I am also thinking about buying a new Ruger. So what is the real consensus on the Ruger?? Thanks, Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cast all of my bullets. Any good bullet or mold recommendations?? Not looking for bullet recommendations for hunting in Africa. I will probably buy jacketed bullets for that. However I will be doing a lot of fun shooting. And I will probably put the smack down on a few deer with this bad boy.

I might even chase a few ground hogs around with it. Big Grin Big Grin Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Ruger in 375 Ruger. I have not taken it to Africa yet but plan on taking it later this year, but I am not hunting buff hopefully leopard. I did shoot a couple of whitetail last year with the 375 Ruger and it performed beautifully from 30 yards out to 150 yards using a 270 gr bullet.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I bought one about two years ago and it seems to be very nice. I have been unable to take any game with it but it does shoot accurately at the range with 270 and 300g bullets and recommended powders as seen here on AR. I pulled the rifle apart after having it a little while and glass bedded the action myself. As an aside, I believe the poor bedding job I did finnaly convinced me I am not a "smith, and will leave that job to others.

I am in the process of selling mine locally because I prefer to use my H&H. No particular reason for the preference, thats just the way it is.

Posts: 9206 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
You can search multiple forums here and find reports on this rifle.
My experience in Africa with this rifle/cartridge was excellent.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<See avatar.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
When will Ruger issue one in 416, left handed? I like bigger calibers, but I perhaps am in the left-handed minority as far a cailber goes as well....

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the lefty in .416 Ruger. I really like the .375. Even thinking about including it in the battery for a prairie dog hunt later this month. I could probably miss by 6 inches and still kill it!

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, got one for sale in the classified

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After buying a stainless Ruger 375 Hawkeye I sold my remaining H&H's.
The 375 Ruger is the only 375 in my house at the moment. Yea, I really like it. But it hasnt killed anything since my double habit started.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote