Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka M590 in .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,

another southpaw here, from England. I have an M590 rebarreled in 6mmBR, a Sako 75 IV hunter in 6.5x55 and a Sako L691 rebarreled in 7x57. Recently I've had the 'need' for a .308. I have had a Richard's microfit stock bought some years ago, already inletted for the M590/595, so I was on the look out for a left hand M590 or 595 with a .308 boltface, to build a .308. Last March I found one.

It was in reasonable condition, but I only wanted the action anyway. I took it to my gunsmith, who

- Rebarreled the action with a .308, 18', 1:10 twist Border 5R barrel, threaded with a 15x1 thread for a sound moderator

- Bedded the action with aluminium pillars and bisonite.

I received the rifle in August 12th.

I then proceeded to coat the stock with 8 coats of thinned (1:3 varnish to turpentine) exterior varnish.

This is what the rifle looks like now

I've had the chance to shoot it with factory ammo (GECO Target, 170gn). This is an 11 shot group (first shot from clean, oiled bore).

I have high hopes for this rifle, and I have a feeling I won't be disappointed when I develop a load for it. The first group out of the barrel with the same ammo measured .196' for a 3 shot group at a 100yds. It'll be used for target and deer stalking work, as well as plinking and having all the fun I can with it Smiler

best wishes,

Finman

better have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it....

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, it certainly shoots, congratulations. I don't know about that stock though, it's a little too far out for me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you're saying Smiler but, for $69 dollars delivered to my home (in the UK!!) and fitting the way it does, I'm not complaining. The gun looks good with its original stock too

but it is not bedded in, and the barrel channel is too narrow for the barrel. I may bed this stock too, so that I have a conventional and an unconventinal look Wink

best wishes,

Finman

better have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it....