Notify
Tools

LH from the NRA Meetings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Fellow Lefties,

Just got back from the NRA meetings in Indianapolis and there were quite a few notable LH models this year I wanted to report back to the group. Here's what I found:

1. LH Benelli SBE 20ga - This was a real surprise and a very nice gun, to boot. I'm kind of ambivalent on the 12ga, but the 20 was noticeably trimmer and lighter than the bigger brother. Would make a fantastic upland or light skeet shotgun. Were I in the market for an autoloader, this would be at the top of my list.

2. LH Remington VersaMax 12ga - Just a LH version of Remington's do-all semi. Felt OK as far as build quality. I've got no need for a 3.5" 12ga, but if you do, this would be a solid choice. Available in black and camo.

3. Sako Bavarian and 375 H&H LH - Easily the best LH rifles I saw. They had both to fondle and they're just fantastic. The Bavarian is a beautiful piece of hardware and the 375 would make an ideal platform for a DG rifle. I'd have either one. The funny thing is, I was asking the (Finnish) Sako rep about other calibers for the 85 Large action other than 375, and he said they already make them in Europe. They just don't import them into the states. I suppose start slow with the 375, but make Beretta USA aware a 416 or 458 wouldn't hurt either.

4. Winchester M70 - No, they're not making them in LH. I just wanted to post the update that I pestered the rep, who was also LH, and he said it's on the table. Patience, guys. I'm sure it'll happen soon.

5. CZ 527 & 550 LH - Not exactly new, but they had both on display and they're still decent rifles. The 550 is still WAY too expensive, so I won't be considering until they drop it back down to earth.

6. MRC LH - Not having any preconceived notions about these guys, I checked out some of their LH samples on display. Very nice and not terribly expensive. It would appear they've got their production back to normal, and it's 10-12 weeks for a production rifle, according to the rep. High on my list for a DG rifle.

7. Stag Arms - They're still at it with the LH AR's. The line is ever-expanding, an the quality is excellent.

8. Savage - I saved this for last because they might be the best company in today's market for the LH shooter. They make a ton of production models in LH at no additional cost. The best part is that if you don't see what you want, they will make it for you! In speaking with their special order representative, if they make the parts, they can assemble them for you however you want. I'm seriously considering taking them up on a walking varmint rifle project I've been brewing. It's not "custom", rather just re-assembling stock parts in a different configuration. I liken it to gun Legos.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Clayman.

Was the Sako Bavarian available in the full stock version?

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for report.

I was at beretta gallery in nyc and they had no idea when the 375 h&h will be available. They had some nice left handed dt-11 shotguns. Seems like left handed models is taking corp priority at beretta.

I still don't get cz pricing, i have bought two but i will not buy another and i am in market for a 375 h&h rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

Thanks,
Steve

No, unfortunately not a full Mannlicher stocked version (at least in the U.S.). This one was an equally-attractive Schnabel forend Euro-style stock. Had open sights and that traditional sloping comb (hog-back) stock with a cheek piece. The forend was a contrasting wood, not ebony, but something darker. Satin finish on the wood and matte on the metal; made for a very nice combination. I'd love to have one in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 to complete the package. I actually liked that one more than the 85L in .375. If you get a chance to lay hands on one, I'd do it!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good info!

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:

Thanks,
Steve

No, unfortunately not a full Mannlicher stocked version (at least in the U.S.). This one was an equally-attractive Schnabel forend Euro-style stock. Had open sights and that traditional sloping comb (hog-back) stock with a cheek piece. The forend was a contrasting wood, not ebony, but something darker. Satin finish on the wood and matte on the metal; made for a very nice combination. I'd love to have one in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 to complete the package. I actually liked that one more than the 85L in .375. If you get a chance to lay hands on one, I'd do it!

Thanks. I love full-stocked guns. But I also like the hog-back stock style and Schnabel forends.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Benelli lefty 20 is the M2. The 26" came out last year, and this year they introduced a 28". I would prefer a 24", for a sweet pointing 20, but got the 26" last year.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a lefthanded winchester would be nice to see, I'm thinking about something that will handle a 404 or bigger? mrc is all i can see

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably my most cherished centerfire rifle is a LH model 70 Winchester that I acquired just a few months before the CT plant closed. I would love to have another one.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elkins45:
Probably my most cherished centerfire rifle is a LH model 70 Winchester that I acquired just a few months before the CT plant closed. I would love to have another one.

Yep, I have a left handed Model 70 Classic Safari Express made from the last run at New Haven in 2004.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote