Find
Notify
Tools

Factory LH 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

Picture of morpheus32
posted
Gents,

I am left eye dominate, right handed shooter. I have been using Ruger #1s for years as my primary hunting rifles. I am working towards a trip to Africa in the next 18 months and want to look at a 416 Rigby. My first instinct is to go with another Ruger #1 as a pair to my Ruger #1 in 375 Weatherby. Right now it mounts a Leupold 1.5-5 and is a great shooter.

I have been looking at the various manufacturer's websites to see what options I have. Besides a Ruger #1, what factory options do I have for a rifle....preferably a bolt gun....

Cheers

Jeff

Let Valor not Fail

Posts: 10 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the current moment in time probably the lowest cost and extremely high in quality would be the Hein:
http://www.rifleactions.com/

Who knows if CZ will ever offer one in left handed.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

In my opinion, a better companion to your .375Wby. would be something like a .458 Lott. I don't know if CZ-USA will ever produce a LH .416 Rigby or .458 Lott.

This can be built on a Model 70 .375H&H for relatively few bucks (~$800 on top of the rifle).

If you don't mind wildcats, a .416AR, .458AR, or .470AR (these use Remington UltraMag brass) could be built on a 7mmRemMag or .300WinMag. action.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of morpheus32
posted Hide Post
I am really torn here. I have been hunting with a Ruger #1 for years and it just feels right. Most of my bolt guns are right handed as I would mostly shoot them off a bipod so cycling the bolt with the right hand was not a problems. I don't have a lot of time behind a left hand bolt....but trigger time could address this. More an emotional issue than one of practicality. Regular training with the right rifle will bring it up to speed....

A friend of mine who had hunted Africa before mentioned that I should not take anything to Africa that I was not prepared to loose. His concern was an expensive rifle might not ever make it there or back and a factory rifle was the way to go. Is that a sound recommendation?

Would I be disadvantaged with using a Ruger #1 rather than a bolt? Curious to the opinions of those who have been hunting in Africa.

Thanks for the replies so far...cheers

Jeff

Let Valor not Fail

Posts: 10 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of morpheus32
posted Hide Post
Reference wildcats. I think part of my problem is that being an army guy...or soon to be ex army guy, my life revolved around standard calibers....now I have to think way outside my previous box. Right now I have a left hand Rem 700 in 7mm RUM....can this be rebarrelled to one of the calibers you indicated?

Thanks for the help....this is a wonderful site. Cheers

Jeff

Let Valor not Fail

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by morpheus32:
I am really torn here. I have been hunting with a Ruger #1 for years and it just feels right. Most of my bolt guns are right handed as I would mostly shoot them off a bipod so cycling the bolt with the right hand was not a problems. I don't have a lot of time behind a left hand bolt....but trigger time could address this. More an emotional issue than one of practicality. Regular training with the right rifle will bring it up to speed....

A friend of mine who had hunted Africa before mentioned that I should not take anything to Africa that I was not prepared to loose. His concern was an expensive rifle might not ever make it there or back and a factory rifle was the way to go. Is that a sound recommendation?

Would I be disadvantaged with using a Ruger #1 rather than a bolt? Curious to the opinions of those who have been hunting in Africa.

Thanks for the replies so far...cheers

Jeff

I have been to Africa 6 times and never lost a rifle. Yes it can happen but it is not a common problem. I would suggest getting insurance if you bring a valuable rifle...just in case. I would bring a rifle that you enjoy carying and hunting with. Keep in mind that you may be carrying if for days both in your hands and in the truck...it will show signs of wear but that is what gives a gun experience. The ruger #1 is a great gun but I choose not to carry a single shot on DG...it is a personal choice. What ever you decide I hope you have the hunt of your life!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by morpheus32:
Right now I have a left hand Rem 700 in 7mm RUM....can this be rebarrelled to one of the calibers you indicated?

Jeff

Jeff,

A 7mmRUM can be converted to .404, or one of the 'AR' wildcats (.416, .458, .470) relatively easily, since the RUM is based on the .404 case (and the 'AR' wildcats are based on the RUM case).

If dealing with wildcats doesn't scare you,go for a .458AR or a .470AR.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is a stailess ruger number 1 458 lott for sale at my local gun shop.....it belonged to a friend of mine and he traded it in on another rifle.... its in brand new condition.

i belive there asking 850-900 for it. the gun had been bead blasted to take the shiny finish off of it.

the gun is here www.shooterschoice.com ask for mike or frank. and tell them steve from niagara falls sent ya.

i just bought a 300 wsm left handed bar for deer camp there.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote