THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Need opinion on which MRC action

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinion on which MRC action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting my LH 375 H&H project. I'm planning to build a classic style safari rifle and need some opinions. The rifle will be wood stocked (probably AI) and blued (matt finish) with a barrel band, express sights, ebony tipped stock etc.

First of all, should I go SS or CM? I'm planning to keep the rifle <9 lbs. and it'll be blued anyway. So my thoughts are to go with chrome moly. I plan to have the bolt handle checkered as well as a few more gunsmithing chores and figure the CM will be easier to work with and after all the work is done, I'll send it out for bluing. Also, I might be off base, but I suspect that a CM action might cycle a little "slicker" then a stainless action (less galling potential etc.)

Secondly, when I order up the action, I'm considering making it a barreled action with a MRC barrel. It would save a step in the building process. Everything I hear about MRC barrels has been good and I don't think I'd gain anything by going with a barrel from somewhere else. Anyone think differently? How about contour, twist and length? I'm thinking a 24" #5 contour with a 1:12 twist.

I'm open to any recommendations.

Posts: 488 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
MRC makes a very good barrel IMO...but they tend to be heavy for caliber. I would keep that in mind if you are trying to keep the rifle light. The rifle as you describe will be closer to 10lbs.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRC will build that barreled action with a #4 barrel contour.
As long as you go with a syn stock you should not have any difficulty keeping the finished weight under 9 pounds with a small scope.
Choice of metal is some what personal but if it were mine I would order in in SS and after you had all the work done you could have it hard chromed or finished with any of the similar styles of finish.
But don't delay ordering it. Since I purchased one of there LH SS 458 Lotts in Jan 06 they have raised the price approximately $150 and waiting times increased from 2 months to 12.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote