New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel KR1 Left Hand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read a couple articles about the switch-barrel Merkel KR1. It's a turn-bolt action that has interchangeable barrels, bolt heads, and left and right-hand bolts. The right hand versions have been coming into the US for some time, and there are about four left hand rifles in the US right now. I happened to call Merkel at the right time, just as their only left-hand KR1, a .270, was returned from being loaned to a gunwriter, Petzel, I believe is his name. Expect to see an article about the gun in an upcoming sports magazine. I didn't do the research, but it will be easy to determine who he writes for. The gun was ordered for Craig Boddington to review, but came in too late for him, so he was loaned a right-hand gun. I haven't seen the gun, but the Merkel sales people tell me it has spectacular wood. We'll see. I bought it. It is a Premium grade in good ol' .270 Winchester. I also placed an order for a 9.3X62 barrel for future delivery. It is a switch-barrel gun, after all. I was tempted to order a right-hand gun and then order a left hand bolt to switch it, as the right-hand guns are really discounted right now. However the Merkel folks in Germany don't have their system worked out completely on shipping separate bolts to the USA, and I didn't want to risk being stuck with a right hand gun. For the future Merkel plans an American-style neutral stock without a cheekpiece. That will make it much easier to switch bolts from right to left. If anyone wants a right hand KR1, I have an account set up with Merkel USA and can order them at a really good discounted price, about $1999 with one barrel, one magazine and scope mounts. That's right, the rifle comes with scope mounts. I'll try to post pictures when it comes in.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
There is an article on the KR1 in Rifle Magazine, July 2009, #245 by John Haviland.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do the left hand rifles run? How much for extra barrels?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lefties are discounted also right now. I can sell them for about $2475. However, that was the last one and I don't know when they'll get more. I suggest buying a right hand rifle and then special order a left hand action and bolt, at about $525. Then you can have an "either" gun, and if you ever need to sell, it's nice that you know you'll cover all buyers. And the cost with both bolts is about the same as the lefty. The only reason I bought the lefty now is that it is the last one. Extra barrels run around $615.

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Alan,
What do you think the Stutzen will cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No idea. Assuredly more than the standard. I'll be getting price sheets and catalogs with the gun, so I should know by then. Merkel USA is still up in the air about the whole system. The sales people don't understand it, and don't understand left-hand people. One of the Germans from Merkel in Germany told a salesman that left and right barrels and bolts don't interchange. I had their gunsmith, luckily a German, quickly put that error down. In addition to clarifying the issue in their native language, the gunsmith put several barrels and bolts from right-hand guns on my action. Headspace and functionality were both spot-on.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I believe they are priced under the Blaser system, by design. The R93 is a sleeker package with a larger selection of calibers available but that is not to say the Merkel is not very desirable. I would like to have one of their single shots in a 7x57 or 6x55.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received the rifle. The stock is very, very nice, with pleasing figure and excellent finish. What I like is the ergonomics. The rifle handles well, the bolt action is velvet smooth; and the trigger pull is superb, especially the set trigger. The rifle feeds from the magazine without flaw. I don't care for the butterknife bolt handle, but the bolt handle is removable to disassamble the rifle. It would be easy enough to replace it with a ball-end bolt handle. Merkel told me they ordered this rifle for Boddington but he reviewed the KR1 before this one came in. The retail price on right hand Premium guns is $1995; Stutzen Antique is $3395. LL Bean had a .308 and a .30/06 left hand Premium KR1s the last time I talked to them. Their price is about $2500. The Merkel people told me that the stocks on the LL Bean left hand guns are fantastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to post some photosSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't taken any yet. Once I do I'll have to figure out how to do it. There are some nice pictures on the Merkel USA website.

Allan