Find
Notify
Tools

LH Ruger Hawkeye
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted
Well I just heard some rather crappy news. When I heard of Ruger making the Hawkeye African in LH, I immediately phoned my "Gun guy" & ordered one.

I get a phone call from him today, saying that the Canadian importer of Ruger arms, has told him Ruger has cancelled their intentions on making this Rifle in LH Mad

Has anybody heard anything like this to confirm or deny this claim? The Ruger website as of April 17th says it will be be offered in LH.....I wonder!

I called Ruger yesterday, and was on hold for about 20 minutes. Being at work, I hung up before I got to talk to someone.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello cmfic1,
I called 2 weeks ago and a lady was not sure of a delivery date but said she heard plans to make all models of the Hawkeye in left-hand. I was not too confident in her respone though.
John

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:

I get a phone call from him today, saying that the Canadian importer of Ruger arms, has told him Ruger has cancelled their intentions on making this Rifle in LH Mad

That is disappointing news, not surprising though. I kind of had my fingers crossed for a LH stainless short-action. Oh, and a .223. Well, a guy can dream........

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... I also ordered one. Are they or are they not going to make one ??? If I have to spend my excess gold on a Turkish twenty gauge over and under instead ... could I ever really be happy ?? Confused Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I handled one of the new ones at WSS today. A SS in 708. If the bolt had been on the left I'd have a new rifle today. I have to admit that Ruger has mildly impressed me with this new model.

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a new (RH) Hawkeye in my hands yesterday. It had a synthetic stock with a pronounced closed grip. I liked it. It seemed to point well and was well balanced. The store owner said the only real differnce between the old 77 action and the Hawkeye was the bottom metal and finish. Even so, nice rifle.
He also said the Ruger Rep. told him left handed Hawkeyes would come later in '08.
just my .02

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
In the RIFLE SHOOTER Magazine Jul/Aug on page 48 there is a photo of the LH 375 Ruger Hawkeye that Craig Boddington has and has already used in Africa. Why can't we get one?

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Good question!

Did they make only one?

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by them today that they will start LH production in July. The person I spoke with did not know in what order the calibers would be run but suggested to call them back in late Iuly. I used the number on the website. Have it on calender!

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called again just today. I was told that they are for sure planning to run lefties in all the larger calibers. I asked when production was scheduled and was told by a nice gal there that they would know only "When they(the guns) are headed out the door". Not much to go on but am going to hang tough until years end. Going to call 1X/month until this gets done!

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to be able to get something other than just a 30-06/ 270 or 300/ 7mm mag!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local dealer did some checking and came up empty as far as LH Hawkeyes.
Anyone else learn anything new?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just spoke to them again today. I was refered to sales office in Conneticut. The latest is the African Hawkeye will not be produced LH for an "indefinite"period. The GOOD NEWS is that they have said the they will start on LH in the 77s "soon". She said they were going to run them in all the larger calibers. They were apologetic about all the misinformation being tossed around about the Hawkeye.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if we could get them to do a "charter run" of 375 H&H or 416's. Maybe if we did a pole or petition and showed them "confirmed" orders where people laid down some money (like MRC did with the PH action), they'd let a machinist stay late a few nights and crank a bunch out for us lefties. I'd drop down $1200 or so. What other options do we have?? Anything even remotely custom will run you 2x to 3x that much.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update.

Any mention of the 'Alaskan' .375 Ruger in LH?

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you think they meant by the term, "larger calibers"?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwofe- From the conversation would guess that means 375,416,458. Gsganzer- I would sign up! Betting that with their new 375 Ruger that the HH would not work for them. I have to travel for a couple of weeks and maybe we should see what the interest level is here for a 416 run. Wrongside- I was told that there was alot of information out to the dealers that was wrong. They have no plans to run the Hawkeye in LH for the forseeable future. They were actually apologetic about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little disappointing but if they offer a leftie in any caliber larger than 300 WM I am sure it will sell well.
My latest left hand Ruger carries a Lilja .338 WM tube and sets in a MacMillan stock. I could of saved a bundle if I could of bought it this way from the factory.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Like Snowwolfe, I would be in for anything larger than a .300.

I realllllllllllllllllly had my heart set on a LH "African", if there is anything I can do to help this along, I will!!!!

Rod

Bob Hagel

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Gsganzer- I would sign up! Betting that with their new 375 Ruger that the HH would not work for them. I have to travel for a couple of weeks and maybe we should see what the interest level is here for a 416 run.

I'd be fine with a charter run of LH 375 Rugers or 416's! Any factory issued big bore would be a treat. I've been waiting 9 months on a MRC long action to build a 375 H&H. A man can only be so patient.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any update on this saga?

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Any new information on the new M77? ( I have a hard time calling it the 'Hawkeye'. Smiler)

I've been checking Ruger's website bi-weekly, so far nothing that I can see.

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that there might be a double take on ruger making a left handed 375 so i had my left handed winchester rebarreled by ER Shaw and am i glad i did. I functions flawlessly and shoots lights out with 260 Noslers and 300 hornadys.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Coloradokiwi
posted Hide Post
Giday boys,

I to have been pursuing a left-handed African since MID 2007 when they were supposed to be out,I picked up a rockchucker kit managed to find bullets and brass then come to find that this rifle is probably not going to appear until the end of the year.
I have made numerous calls to Ruger but as like most of you I am not convinced by the woman’s responses.
I made a suggestion that they should at least update their web site and let people know whets going on, this too seemed to fall on deaf ears.
This morning I was pissed off about the situation so I rang Ruger again Same bloody response......out in a couple of months, no bloody good to me then, elk seasons done and snows on the ground.
Anyway I have had my bitch.
Do we need to start hounding them more????
Cheers
Coloradokiwi.

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado / South Island New Zealand | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger this AM and the young lady I spoke with told me the Ruger Hawkeye in 375 will be in production within 90 days.
She did not know if it would be made in stainless.
Other calibers will include 25-06, 30-06, 7 mm mag, 300 WM.
This is good news especially if they will be in SS. I just wished they would add the 338 WM to the list as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Snowwolfe. Here's hoping they make LH Alaskans.

CSSA
CPC

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They would have at least one sold in the African lh in the new 375

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote