New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Heym
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought this off of Gunbroker and just picked it up today. SR20G in 375 H&H. I was ready to order a Ruger African when I found this. It didn't come with rings, so I will need to have a set made, but I really like this rifle. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow.

Posts: 89 | Location: SW Washington | Registered: 23 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They look like bases for a claw mount.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beaut!! Just get rid of that muzzlebrake!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
They look like bases for a claw mount.

George

They are, and it's not going to be cheap to have the rings made. I asked they guys at New England Custom Gun for a ballpark estimate, and they said that the average cost of fitting rings to existing bases is about seven hundred dollars, but considering the deal I got on the gun it's not too bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Beaut!! Just get rid of that muzzlebrake!

Yeah, the muzzlebrake is huge, but I figured thread protectors are relatively easy to find, and the brake might be nice at the range (according to my cheapo fishing scale, this rifle is barely over 6.5#).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the mounts contact Chris Sell at Heym USA. He sould be able to get you in right direction for scope rings.He assisted me as to who to use to obtain scope mounting. He is on double rifle thread.
www.heymusa.com.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weren't these also marketed as Mauser 3000s?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elton Rambin:
On the mounts contact Chris Sell at Heym USA. He sould be able to get you in right direction for scope rings.He assisted me as to who to use to obtain scope mounting. He is on double rifle thread.
www.heymusa.com.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try and get ahold of hime sometime this week.

quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Weren't these also marketed as Mauser 3000s?

I did some reading on them, and it sounded like Heym was contracted by Mauser to make the Mauser 3000s, and after the contract expired Heym continued making the rifles as the SR 20.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range yesterday, and put a box of 300 gr. Federal SPs through it. At forty yards, I shot an offhand 6-shot, 4" group. The factory irons are pretty good.

I pulled the muzzlebreak off for a while just for fun, and recoil wasn't too bad. This rifle weighs a hair under 7 pounds and I was shooting in a t-shirt, so I thought it would be worse, but it was actually manageable.