THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    New LH Squirrel Medicine (pics)

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New LH Squirrel Medicine (pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The very first rifle I ever shot was a Browning T-bolt of my father's. It was a couple years of practice before I learned that it wasn't really a single shot, it just had an adaptor in it to make it function so. It was many years later that I learned there was a true lefty version of this rifle, and I managed to buy one from on of the major gun auction sites just a few days ago. I'm pretty excited to hit the squirrel woods once again with this little rifle! I'm hoping it's a real shooter like Dad's was...

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice. I saw one of those on a rack in a Pennsylvania gun store years ago, and they wanted $500 for it.

I see Browning is reissuing the T-Bolt this year. Perhaps a lefty model is in the works.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it just might be, George. Take a close look at the stock of the new version and see if it doesn't look to you like it's inletted for both RH and LH actions...

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

I have one of those older models. Boy does it shoot. My stock does not have any checkering on it at all. I topped it with a nice Burris 4x Short Mag scope. Using sub sonic ammo it makes a great way to get rid of problem red squirrels without the neighbors even hearing the shot.

Hardest part is finding magazines for it. I've tried the new made ones and not much luck with feeding reliably. I did pick a couple of original ones up at a local gun show, one new in the wrapper. They work great.

My first true left handed .22.

It would be nice if they made the new model in a lefty.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well now that is a fine how do you do. I finally find a nice style LH 22 rifle, and I think to myself wow I could really like that rifle. Look on Guns America just to see if I can find one to trade for and viola there is my next rifle.

Scrolled down to the price and fell right to the floor. $1450 for that puppy. Well I guess I'll just buy a nice air rifle and hope for the best.

Nice one here though good luck on those squirrels

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ChopperGuy - Funny you mention the Burris 4x Short Mag... the scope I have ready to put on when it comes in is an older Burris 4x "mini." Pretty much the same scope I think, but mine doesn't have that little flare at the end of the objective end of the tube.

Deakin - Wow, $1450, huh? Mine was about a third of that which I had a hard time swallowing as it was... but I figured it was $500 now or $1000 a few years form now (plus the nastagia factor pushed me over the edge).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would a Browning T-bolt on steroids lend itself to being a centerfire rifle ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Ian - I love that scope on my T Bolt.

Did you get yours from a dealer in Idaho? I thought I recognized that blanket in the picture. I recently got a really nice custom Rem 700 LH 223 from them if it's the same outfit. Good to deal with also.

I have heard of a T Bolt action being converted to a .25-20. Sounded interesting to me. Don't know any more about it. I'd think it would have to be a pretty low pressure load on this action.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Lewiston, Idaho... sent a money order out from Virginia with a regular 'ol stamp on Monday and they shipped Fedex on Thursday... doesn't get much smoother than that (so far).

I remember the fellow who posted that picture of the T-bolt in 25-20 as well. After taking a closer comparison of it and an unaltered action, it actually looked like a larger, beefed-up, scratch-built copy as Hammer is suggesting. If so, it's a slick bit of machining that he did. If I remember right, I think he said it was a single shot... a centerfire repeater would be even neater.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Did you get your T bolt?

Used mine to dispatch a couple of raiding racoons the other day. PMC sub sonic ammo, very accurate and quite.

Just got some highly recommended Eley sub sonic stuff to try. Should be interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The little tracking number that I've been plugging into the Fedex website faithfully every day tells me it arives at the shop tomorrow! I'm throwing that Burris in the car on the way to work, and just might take the afternoon off Wink

This will be a reunion with rimfires after a long certerfire only stretch. So I didn't know where to start as far as ammo goes before you mentioned the PMC sub sonics. Hopefully I can pick some up at my shop. Just heard another fella mention Wolf match ammo shot the best in his '66 lefty.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Try the plain old wiinchester 40 gr HP .22 LR ammo.

All my friends that shoot .22 matches, use it for practice and matches. I can get you a product # when I get home from hunting. Works really good in my rifle. Cheap and accure in my rifle.

I love the Sub sonic stuff for taking critters without neighbor knowledge. The others are really fun on the dueling tree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had "squirrel curry" last night if you can believe that... complements of the new t-bolt and my wife's creativity (hey, if she's willing to cook the squirrels I bring home, I'm willing to try whatever she wants to create with them). It was actually pretty good. As for the rifle, it's just as slick as I remember and with fine accuracy as well! I was able to try several different makes of ammunition my shop had on hand, and it shot "Eley Target Rifle" into one ragged hole at 50yds with CCI minimag HP's and velociters into about a 1/2" group at 50yds. I was surprized at the fact that this country gun store had some 6-8 choices of Eley target ammo with some boxes of 50 going for $25! The one I bought was $6 and the guy behind the counter was as clueless as I was as to what the differences were, but it sure shot great just the same.

The rifle's epoxy finish was starting to flake in places though, so this morning I decided to strip it off and replace with an oil finish. It's going well so far... right now I'm waiting for the 3rd and final application of stripper to do its thing so I can get the remaining epoxy out of the checkering.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
The finish on mine is ok, however there is actually some nice wood grain under the existing shiny/yellow tinted finish.

There is no checkering on my stock so I thought this would be a good first stock refinish project attempt for me this winter.

I think it would look really nice with a hand rubbed oil finish on it.

Never hurts to take a pretty & capable rifle to the field.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Guys, be sure and check the metal under the stock for rust. As you probably know, Browning used a salt curing process for drying wood back in the 60's and the salt impregnated the wood. It will bubble out and they may be what's causing your finish to bubble. You can't get it out but you can seal it on the inside which should stop most of the problem.
Oh and I've been collecting T-bolt clips for about 5 years now. I have 6 or so and they are getting expensive.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian (VA):
Yep, Lewiston, Idaho... sent a money order out from Virginia with a regular 'ol stamp on Monday and they shipped Fedex on Thursday... doesn't get much smoother than that (so far).

I remember the fellow who posted that picture of the T-bolt in 25-20 as well. After taking a closer comparison of it and an unaltered action, it actually looked like a larger, beefed-up, scratch-built copy as Hammer is suggesting. If so, it's a slick bit of machining that he did. If I remember right, I think he said it was a single shot... a centerfire repeater would be even neater.

And here it is...

Yes it's a "one of a kind" hand built from bar stock...

I also have a LH T-bolt, and that's where i got the idea to have a center fire version...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the one... nice job once again! So when do you see yourself stocking it, DM?

Chopper Guy,

Here it is with the epoxy stripped off:

I like it better now, and would reccomend you try the same. In fact, I may do my Low Wall this weekend...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So when do you see yourself stocking it, DM?

I already have a stock for it, although it's a bit of a POS stock....

I don't seem to have any interest in finishing it, so it sits near the bottom of the project pile...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
That does look good.

Looks like I've found a new project for some long winter nights.

Should be pretty easy to do.