New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC action surprise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought two MRC ss leftie actions. One is for a 35 Whelen project and the other for, well who knows but it is a long action with the mag bolt face.
MRC web site states the 06 action will hold 4 down and the mag action 3 down.
Even with the bottom metal clamped down tight on the action the 06 action will easily hold 5 down and the mag will easily hold 4 375 H&H down. The mag will only hold 3, 375 Wbys due to longer thicker body of the case.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an MRC in a long action and big bolt face. I chambered it for a short-action cartridge and I can only feed one at a time. It's a target gun, so it's not much of a problem. Mine is stainless, and I love the thing. It is a dream come true for me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a short action I bought on the charter offer in 2001 that I have built into a 6.5x284. Slicked up by my gunsmith it is an absolute tack driver as far as I can shoot it.

The short action will actually take a 3.25" cartridge so it is perfect for the intermediate length case of the 284.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12589 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lefty long action in progress as a 458 Lott. It will only hold three doen in factory form, but with the bottom metal reversed so that it is below the trigger gaurd it will hold four down. When the rifle is finished, it will hold four down.

I also have a short action which has been finished as a 257 Roberts. No lightweight action, but the right length.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK,
Not sure I understand what you are saying. How can you reverse the bottom metal?
On my MRC Lott 3 down is a tight squeeze.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
JPK,
Not sure I understand what you are saying. How can you reverse the bottom metal?
On my MRC Lott 3 down is a tight squeeze.

I wanted four down and the action doesn't allow for it as shipped so I discussed this with my gunsmith and here is the answer. (My gunsmith is doing this and the action, etc are with him and so is the 257 Roberts so the magazine box can be "skeletonized" for weight reduction, so excuse any unclear descriptions.)

Remove the trigger gaurd from the bottom metal, iirc it is held by two screws that are acessed from the top side of the gaurd. Place the bottom metal under the trigger gaurd and resecure. When assembled you have the depth for four down, but you'll need a new box with extra depth. When the action is stocked you have the profile of the deeper magazine, not much different than a Dakota "African" or such that holds four mag round down. Can't recall if the latch for the magazine need work or not.

Anyway, here is a photo of a Dakota 375H&H, the MRC stock's profile won't be much different. For comparisso a photo of a Dakota 30-06, which doesn't have the drop mag but also hold four down is also included below. (Sorry for the photo quality, they were taken for insurance purposes close to ten years ago. I looked at a bunch of hunt photos but none show the rifles any better. Looks like I need to take some quality photos of all of my rifles.)

375H&H

30-06

Hope this helps, if not I'll try to get a better description for you.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe these photos show the end profile of the bottom metal/trigger gaurd/stock better.

JPK

Free 500grains