THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    LH Sako AV in .270 Winchester

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Sako AV in .270 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys... need some advice, please. Am bidding on the above referenced rifle on another site and am not sure what the value of this gun might be. naturally, it's worth what someone will pay for it but don't want to get stupid about it!

It's advertised as being 95%. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Between $700-900 would be a very good deal, for a 95% AV Hunter.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, George! I knew you'd have a good idea of what it's worth... I appreciate it!

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My pleasure. Is that the price range the rifle is currently running?

Oddly, every AV I've owned was in msgnum chambering (7mmSTW, .338Win.Mag., .375H&H).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The add states that they made very few in 270 and 30.06... and yes, right now it's at $765.00 with about a week to go...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the bidding is around $950.00... need your advice, George! Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Send me a PM with a link to the auction.

I'll give you my recommendation (don't worry, I already have two .270s Big Grin).

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a real clean model 75 and well worth the current bid price. Unfortunately there's still a bit of time left. It's definitely a good find. Good luck with the bidding.

posted Hide Post
LA7mm asked about a Sako AV, not a Model 75.

If it is a Model 75, disregard what I told you.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected, George... it IS a Sako 75 Hunter... I confused myself when I saw what looked like "Sako IV" on the receiver....

One of Us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
It looks like some sort of transitional model.

I haven't looked at my Sako lately, but I remember it being stamped 'Sako AV', not 'Sako V'.

Ask for a photo of the label at the end of the box and/or the tag that shows the model.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the IV marking is a further descriptor within the Model 75.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AV receivers are round, have AV stamped into the right side and have a different bolt release.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Double AA... I've never owned a Sako and thus are not that familiar with all the various models. Is the general consensus that the Model 75's are an improvement over the AV's or is like a pre and post M70 type of debate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pre and post 64 I should say

posted Hide Post
I do not consider the M75 to be superior, just different (three-lug as opposed to the two-lug AV, different safety mechanism) and more modern in some regards.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert either, but I've been told the model 75 is an improvement. I have two AV's and a L691. BTW, the AV model number is actually L61R.

You might try this site for more information.
http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the bidding is up to $945.00... out of my impulse range but still weighing heavily on my mind! Got a pic of the label on the box and it looks like it's a basic M75 Hunter and it also had the "IV" moniker as well.

Thanks to all for your input!

posted Hide Post
I know that's more than I'd ever pay for an M75.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Say no more.... I'm not THAT interested in it either!

posted Hide Post
With LH Rem. 700 and Ruger M77s widely available, there is no reason to pay a premium for an M75.

For the same $945, one could probably find a LH Model 70.

George

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
For the same $945, one could probably find a LH Model 70.

George

And I know just where you can buy one! Big Grin

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be tempted to consider a left-handed M70... doubt I could go $945.00 though.

posted Hide Post
Talk to Jeff (above). He knows of one.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tell me about this M70 please Jeff... I'm intrigued...

posted Hide Post
Send him a PM. Do you want someone jumping in with an "I'll take it!" before you can make up your mind?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point...