New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 Jeffery options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all. I have no use for a big bore, but lately I've become interested in the .404 Jeffery, just as a fun thing. It looks to me like the only semi-easy way to get a LH rifle in .404 Jeffery would be to buy a CZ 550 in .375 and have it gunsmithed for the Jeffery. Seems like the kind of thing where it would be smart to snap up a donor rifle if the money becomes available (wish I'd done that with the LH Winchesters). Those CZs are expensive though, as it looks like the street price for the 04220 model number is about $1700USD.

I have the impression that the work required on the bolt and feed lips isn't too bad. But that's a rather stiff price for a donor rifle. I know of the Montana actions, and the very long wait involved. What other options are available for such a project?

posted Hide Post
If you can find a LH rifle in ,.300 RUM, .338 RUM,, or .375 RUM, it should be a straight re-barrel.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you called Montana about the wait time? It may not be the case now.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a 1999 action pretty much no problem.

Yep the last time I check on a LH CZ it was close to $1750 for a lefty..and they go up it seems every 6 months...one more way would be get one of the leftys Zastava guns--and do some gunsmithing (open bolt face, rebarrel,work on box, rails and follower) ect...you will be into it around the same...you will tear the hell out of $2,500 to $3,000...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a left hand Winchester model 70 custom in 400H&H?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, funny you should say that... my riflesmith is right now in the process of procuring a .411" one in 12 barrel for my custom 400 H&H. Action is LH MRC Magnum in 4140, Wiebe bottom metal and follower, and a piece of walnut from Roger Vardy that is absolutely jaw-dropping. To this point, all the "metal" for the rifle totals less than buying a LH CZ...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, an all-custom job running less than a rebuild.

As strange as it may sound, it occurred to me that a .423 wildcat based on the .375 Ruger basic brass designed with a long neck and shallow shoulder (i.e. a "modern" long-action sized cartridge) might be easier. Grab a LH Ruger in .375 Ruger, custom reamer, custom dies, new barrel and ready to rock.

p.s. Doubless, now you need to post some hi-res pics of that stock when its done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CT, it may be a while... I was told today about noon that the barrel lead time is ~16 weeks. Add to that about 130 hours of stock work for a man with a 40-hour normal job, and it is going to be a bit. But I will do what I can. Robert is a genius, just not well known... yet.

FWIW, Roger made me a squeal of a deal. The wood I got from him should have run somewhere in the $2500-$3k range... it was roughly half that. Just an incredible blank... www.rogervardystockwood.com

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a LH Win 70 in 7MM Shooting Times Western
I think they are a longer action. There were a few out there. That would be a good candidate. For a LH .404 Jeffery lots of factory LH Win 70 stocks out there also at a good price.

Been trying to talk my RH buddy out of one he has had for some time.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Win. as stated in previous posts will work but understand you have better odds at winning the lottery before you find one. It won't be cheap and don't underestimate gunsmith labor hours.

Remington 700 in the ultra mag. calibers will be much easier to find but they are push feed actions. If it works for you it will be the cheapest option. AS they are a hard sell.

Weatherby rifles in behometh calibers such as the .378 and .460 are also a hard sell but could be made.

CZ could build you one out of their custom shop in Kansas you still hover around $3k.

For a CRF action a used MRC action is your cheapest bet. I am sure you can order one of their complete rifles still cheaper than any other options in the CRF mode.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could build one on a Zastava in 375 H&H. You can buy a German made Walther-Lothar pre-fit barrel for a 98 in 404J and have someone do the fitting and feed work. This would probably be one of your cheaper options.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote