New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dominant Eye
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I only recently discovered that it is my right eye that is the dominant one - also happens to be my stronger eye too.

My optometrist said that being left handed (or right handed) has no bearing on which is your dominant eye.

I've always shot left handed and have always shot shotguns, open sighted rifles and low power scoped rifles with both eyes open. It hasnt seemed to affected my shooting - OK, perhaps I'm not such as great shot anyway.

Does anyone have any views or insights on this topic ?

Joe

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed but left eye dominant. It started back when I was a teenager and found that when I shot right handed it was difficult to shoot accurately when using a scoped rifle. I was trying to use my dominant eye to site and it just seemed that my weak eye was causing a the cross hairs to float around. So my solution was to teach my self to shoot left handed so my dominant eye would be closer to the scope. Now 30 years later I can not even attempt to shoot right handed anymore but I do just fine left handed. I even think I shoot better.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked at a sporting clays site this fall helping a very experienced instructor.He would stand behind every shooter and ask them to point the gun at a target,numerous times he would give them a visual test to determine which eye was dominate,As he explained to me as he stood behind them he could tell they were looking across the reciever not straight down the barrel.He asked many to shoot the opposite of which hand they were and by far most shot better.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone experienced a change in the dominat eye? I remember as a child I tryed several of those tests and I always got the left as my dominant eye. When i started in the military i simply got used to shooting with the right eye since most weapons systems were eihter problematic or impossible to use wuth the left. Last time one of the shooting instructors was checking dominant eyes it turned out that my right eye was the dominant one. I guess the brain simply gets used to it after you have been using the right eye for years.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am lefty, right eye dominant. I switched to righty for shotgun, and I shoot better. I still shoot rifles better left-handed.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
Phew. Glad its not me! That might actually be harder to deal with than what I have.

I was ambidextrous 'til my eyes went bad. Now I'm left handed and left eye dominant. My contact corrected eyes still fight each other when using a shotgun.

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there, I am very right-handed, but left eye dominant, although my dominant left eye is also my weaker eye! I have always shot right handed, rifle and archery, and believe that as long as you close your dominant eye, you should have no problem with shooting, no matter what kind of sights you use. In fact, with time and practise, I think that you can train your non-dominant eye to become almost or as good as 'dominant' at least that is my experience.

Due to a shoulder accident and 2 operations later, I have no A/C joint in my right arm, which means that I am limited to shooting nothing more than a .22 Hornet from the bench right handed, and had to sell my bow, because it was strictly right-handed and proved painfull to draw after the injury and surgery.

I am now facing having to cope with having to learn to shoot left handed. I have shot pistol too on a few occasions (but even that hurts my shoulder through the jolting).I found that I had to close my left eye. If I shot with both eyes open, I would shoot right handed, but realised I tended to move my head more to the right, and was actually using my left eye for lining up the sights! If I use a camera, I use it right handed, but still always look through the viewfinder with my left eye. I have heard that people often shoot better with their dominant eye, but I wonder whether that applies if it is your weaker eye? I know one thing, and that is that I can not yet shoot properly left handed, having shot for so long right handed, it still feels so much better, probably because my left arm/hand does not have the trigger control and co-ordination of my right hand. Maybe I should have learnt to shoot left handed from the start though? At least now I wish that I had, especially if I am shooting any medium calliber upwards.

I think that even if you shoot with both eyes open, such as is often advised with shotgunning, as long as you line the barrel up with the bead first. I think that is the most important thing, lining the barrel to the sight, that way, you can not trick your dominant eye in taking over when it shouldnt, and with practise your less dominant eye should become nearly as dominant as your real dominant eye, with shooting at least, maybe not for everything.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for any confusion in my above comments, just reading through them again, but am refferring to my individual cross-eyed-handedness case, and not to people who say shoot right handed, but are right handed, and right-eye dominant, etc, in which case you have no concerns.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote