Find
Notify
Tools

Lefty rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I'm sorry. I'm a lefty. My dad was a righty but shot left handed. I'm a true lefty. I tried to stoot a lefty bolt one time and got all messed up. I can't shoot them. I have to stick with righty actions. The only thing I'm comfortable with. It was the way DAD taught me.
I inherited all of his guns when he passed and all are right handed.

Tony Wink

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the the way most of our Dads taught us and our Dads were wrong stir

Trust me after you learn to work a bolt on the left side you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I was in the same bolt as a boy. believe it or not, my first shotgun was an OLD Mossberg 20 ga bolt action - right handed. First rifle was a Ruger righty. Talk about messing up a kid. he was in the Army in late WW II & Korea and believed everyone should shoot right handed.

I found left handed rifles later in life and will NEVER turn back.

I am a bit set back by the lack of fine rifles available in left hand models. I often drool over the very nice right handed ones I come across. However, I'll not seriously own/shoot them again.

No longer wanting to shoot right handed rifles did get me into the VERY bad habit of wanting & owning double shotguns, rifles and single shot rifles. Wink

Guess that's not all bad.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's just a matter of getting used to them. Shooting right handed rifles your whiole life it will take more than trying a lefty one time to retrain your muscle memory and habits.

Once you get used to shooting left handed rifles the only reason you will still own the right handed ones is the sentimental value.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, being left handed has saved me ALOT
of money. If I were forced to consider 80% of the right handed rifles out there instead of the 20% (or less) that are left handed, I would be forever condemed to a life of poverty. It's bad enough searching the left hand market, I can't imagine a market 8x-10x larger.
"Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
my dad is left handed and im not so I learned to shoot like him then turned it around for myself. he has a lot of wisdom to impart but not a great teacher if he cant show you. so shot right hand rifles left handed for a while then changed mechanics for myself so now it does not matter. you will always be better off with the correct equipment for your eye dominance.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good points by everyone. I'm lefty, my dad is right handed and for the last 20 yrs every rifle we've had and that I've shot, except for my LH 300 Weatherby, is right handed. Maybe he was just thrifty buy he taught me to switch hit a baseball, play golf right handed, etc. to try and use what's available. I'm planning on going back, 10yrs later from a plains game hunt, for buffalo and am discoraged by the lack of 375H&H rifles in left hand. I've recently though about training right handed for a year or so and picking up a pre-64 375H&H...any thoughts on this?

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i'm a lefty, i shot right handed in the military and was good at it, but i've always been better left handed. i've had rifles in both left and right, i can bolt some right hand rifles left handed just as fast as a righty can do it. but, I came to the conclusion that i like lever guns best!!! LOL

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Smith...
I've been saying just that same thing for years...!!! Being a "lefty" has kept my paws ( and checkbook...) away from a LOT of fine rifles over the years..!!
Somehow...despite the difficulty, I've managed to acquire at least one for every conceivable purpose.
Best Wishes...
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind right hand actions , it's the DAM stocks that screw me . My luck a friend or nifty right hander comes along with a cheek piece sticking out !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote