THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Control Round Feed Left Hand Actions [short & long of it]

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Control Round Feed Left Hand Actions [short & long of it]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fivebigbores
posted
i

Posts: 330 | Location: Lone Pine California USA | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a controll round fiend. I know of Dakota, CZ, Montana 1999, and Mauser. I am sure there are others and perhaps someone will help out.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like a dummy I forgot my favorite. Winchester sorry.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Zastava still makes a left hand Mauser action.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these LH Zastava actions still being imported?
Thanks.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Not at the moment. I wrote zastava about them in teh begining of the year & was told Remington would be importing them within a year. BUt since then I have read that Remington denied this. And even if true.....it would be whole rifle only. No actions.

I am glad I grabbed a few actions while CD was the importer.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granite mountain or Empire rifle actions both make left handed actions.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have Winchester, Savage, Ruger and Montana CRF rifles.

I talked to Charles daly two years ago when they lost the Zastava import rights and they said that Remington had the rights to import the right and left handed barelled actions. Remington last year said that they had no plans to import any left handed models.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivebigbores:
and how did the A-square people build lefthand actions off the P14-1917 Enfield

A-Square built right-hand rifles on the Enfield action. They used Sako actions for their left-hand rifles.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
WFF Hein

http://www.rifleactions.com/

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WFF Hein, Wow, Nice stuff. Do any of you gents have experience with these actions? They look great, but are they worth the price?

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Ordered one yet...no. But I did get a build sheet & quote from them. Still a few "Fine tuning" decisions for me to make.

I have no doubts I will own one in the next 2-3 yrs. But I have to budget it around the Hunts I wanna do.

Heres a pic Carl from WFF Hein sent me a while back, I think its about identical to the one I want, this is in a .404 Jeffery. I do believe that Phil Shoemaker had or is going to have this same Rifle for a write up, looking forward (as always) to reading it.

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Heres a couple pics of my .416 Rem. Mag. Its my all business, built for hard work type Gun.
Its on an MRC Action.

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-square also built some left handed rifles on the Remington 700 called the "Cesar" model. That was back before all the trouble with ATF in 96.

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I out there as a Made up rifle and what is out there as an action to build on

I have one of the Sako made left hand magnum actions in 375 length that was made for Magnum Research for their proprietary line of rifles. The action is new, in the white and never been barreled or assembled. Email me if you are interested.

Jim Kobe

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Jim its too bad about all the redtape between our Border & yours....'cause I would likely take it!

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-Square can be reached in Jeffersonville Indiana at 502-283-1284 or the website at
http://www.a-squareco.com/index.html

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His email is ArthurAlphin@aol.com but I have not recieved a reply as of yet. Midwayusa carries most of the A^2 products but about half seem to be out of stock.

Here's another website that I just found, and may be reasonably new.

http://members.aol.com/riflemenky/Products.html

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Joe that number 502 283 1284 is not working and the web has no link up to a responder I am trying to buy a few products from them

area code (502) is a Kentucky area code on my brochure the Jeffersonville number is (812) 283-0577 and the fax (812) 283-0375 don't know if that is still good or not.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I give up, seems they may have closed up shop and hit the road. The ATF trouble I mentioned was a big time raid with all sorts of property taken because the Col. was reported to be running guns and drugs. Turns out that it was nothing more than a rumor began by an ex-employee. The biggest trouble was that ATF didn't return all that they took and still to this day have not. To my knowledge, Col. Alphin and his family were never charged or convicted of any crime and the fact that his lively hood was damaged by this lie is a shame. Lets hope he finds his way back, because he was a pioneer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the front page of the March 7, 2007 Douglas Budget:

Glenrock lures rifle manufacturer from Kentucky, adding 21+ jobs

By JEANIE WRIGHT
Editor

If all goes as planned, an established rifle manufacturing company from Kentucky will move its operation to Glenrock this year.

Art Alphin of A-Square Manufacturing said in a phone interview last week that he plans to relocate his rifle plant from Bedford, Ky. A-Square also operates an ammunition plant in Jeffersonville, Ind., which at this time will not be relocated.

Alphin said his love for Wyoming, coupled with a number of helpful people here made Glenrock the right fit. The details of the move are still in the works and won’t be firmed up until mid-March when the Glenrock Town Council meets again with Alphin, according to Glenrock Mayor Steve Cielinski and Alphin.

The tentative plan is for A-Square to lease the property known as the old Glenrock paint factory. The 15 acres and a 7,500-square-foot building are owned by the town and would be leased to A-Square.

The terms of the lease are yet to be finalized, however, the current discussion is for the town to provide some outside infrastructure improvements, and the company take care of indoor remodeling to suit its needs, Cielinski explained.

Alphin expects to employ 21-23 workers. “All these jobs will be Wyoming jobs,†he said.

Some workers hired by A-Square would be skilled, such as welders, machinists and wood craftsmen. Others will be entry level positions for people wanting to learn a trade.

“These are stable jobs, providing an opportunity for people to grow within the company,†Alphin said.

A-Square specializes in quality rifles built with an eye toward professional hunters and big game hunting in the western U.S., Alaska, Australia, New Zealand and Africa.

“What makes our product stand out is an unusually high degree of design fitness for purpose and an unusually high degree of quality in workmanship and materials,†Alphin commented.

Cielinski predicts A-Square will be an excellent fit. Glenrock has been a gun makers’ sanctuary and has lots of sportsmen in the area, so the new company is a natural fit for the local culture, he said.

Cielinski explained that although the state is riding the tide of a minerals-based economy, a company which provides other types of jobs is exactly what Wyoming and Glenrock are looking for in diversified economic development.

Additionally, Glenrock can pull workers from probably the largest labor pool in the state of Wyoming, because of the 30 mile radius encompassing Douglas and Casper, Cilenski said.

Alphin is optimistic the necessary workers can be found, but will wait until he has an established staff before purchasing the property from the town. If all goes well, the tentative plan is for A-Square to buy the property and put down more permanent roots within about 18 months.

Last fall, the company applied for a $1.5 million grant from the Wyoming Business Council. That item was included in the Business Ready Communities funding proposal which was recently included in budget discussions at Legislature. Sen. Jim Anderson of Glenrock spoke for the project on the floor of the Senate.

“Our intention was to support ASquare and others on the Business Ready Communities funding list. We’ll continue to do everything we can to assist them now and down the road,†Anderson said.

For now, grant funding has been moved to a long-term possibility, depending on how staffing works out, Alphin said.

The town and Alphin hope to firm up the contracts and make an official announcement on March 12, Cielinski said.

Alphin said he considered moving to Douglas, Riverton, Powell and Cody, but Glenrock rose to the top.

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Jackie! Glad to know the good Col. will be up and running soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the March 15, 2007 Casper Star-Tribune:

Rifle maker brings business to Glenrock

By TOM MAST
Star-Tribune staff writer Thursday, March 15, 2007

GLENROCK -- Beaming town officials welcomed rifle and ammunition manufacturer A-Square Company to Glenrock Wednesday, during a press conference and lease-signing ceremony at city hall.

The firm plans to relocate its Bedford, Ky., rifle division to Glenrock. Company founder Art Alphin said with a bit of luck, local operations could begin in May.

Eighteen months after start-up, Alphin said he would like to have 21 to 23 workers on the job.

A-Square makes three models of rifles -- the Hannibal, the Hamlicar and the Genghis Khan -- in 53 different calibers.

Glenrock Mayor Steve Cielinski said his community is a good fit for a rifle manufacturer.

"We've been kind of a shooting mecca for the state," he said. "A lot of small shooting industries have been located here."

Glenrock was selected over Douglas, Riverton, Powell and Cody for the rifle division.

Alphin said the company will be hiring for such positions as machinists and stock makers, some of which will be entry level.

At the journeymen level, the jobs will pay around $15 an hour, increasing to about $19 an hour for accomplished craftsmen.

Alphin said the base price of a rifle is about $3,500. The market for such firearms is global.

"African safari hunting is on the increase, not the decrease," he said.

The new company is called A-Square of Wyoming LLC, and Alphin wants to lease the state's bucking horse symbol. Jay Lesser of Glenrock has been hired as vice president for rifle operations.

Alphin said he was drawn to Wyoming partly because of his uncle, who was from Jackson and taught him how to use firearms.

Alphin said the company will be located temporarily in a city-owned building on Highway 20-26 on the east edge of town. The building will require considerable renovations. The city will do some exterior work and bring utilities to the building, Alphin said, while A-Square will install a heating system, perform interior electrical work and create specialized work areas.

Assuming enough qualified workers can be found, A-Square later could build a permanent facility with help from the Wyoming Business Council. The company also could relocate the division that makes cartridge cases and bullets, he added.

If all goes according to plan, Cielinski said the town would like to turn a 15-acre parcel of land into an area for a variety of shooting-related businesses.

If things don't pan out, Cielinski said the town will still have a more valuable building than it has now.

Business Editor Tom Mast can be reached at tom.mast@casperstartribune.net, or call 307-266-0574.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2007/03/15/ne...8725729e007d0722.txt

Posts: 242 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no phone # there jackie treehorn
Uh, have you thought of calling the Glenrock Chamber of Commerce? The City of Glenrock? The Star-Tribune writer? The Douglas Budget? That was kind of the point of posting the articles. Confused

A-Square doesn't have an exclusive lock on the gun business in Glenrock either. You could also call Dave Talley or Glenrock Bluing among others. I would imagine in a small town like Glenrock it wouldn't be hard to put two-and-two together.