THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Ruger MKII left hand tang safety.

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MKII left hand tang safety.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in a gun shop a days ago and the owner showed me his personal rifle as we both shoot left handed. His was a simple rifle in 358 Norma, barreled by McGowan I believe. The interesting part was the fact that it was a Mark II with a tang Safety. Controlled round feed bolt with blade ejector and non adjustable trigger. Is this something that had been modified or did Ruger make some left hand mark II rifles with a tang safety? I have a project coming up and had resigned myself to do it on a non tang safety model, but this could change my mind. Thanks for the info.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Ruger has made a lot of non-catalogue firearms over the years; this could have been one of them.
I'd ask Ruger directly (the serial number might help them to determine whether this was a factory item or not).

Could it have been a Mark II bolt adapted to a Mark I action?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
While I am not certain....it sounds to me like a conversion. It would not be that difficult for a skilled gunsmith to convert a Mark II to a tang safety.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it have been a Mark II bolt adapted to a Mark I action?

I had thought about that, but it was missing the adjustable trigger of the original 77(All mine have had them but they are liberty models from 1973) and the trigger its self was unblued. I'll give Ruger call Monday. I began salivating over all the things I could build on CRF actions with a tang safety.

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be possible that the MKII bolt was adapted to a MKI action but had to have the MarkII trigger to work correctly?

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I do not think they ever offerd the "Mark I" which is the tang safety left handed. Or am I wrong about this? I do have the Ruger book....I will see what it says. That is why I think it is a safety conversion. Not a bolt change.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote